The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to attach backing to fly line: Best knot??

Albright knot for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish freshwater, and a nail knot works fine for me. It's smooth and compact. If I were fishing saltwater, I'd go with the Albright I used to use. I did use a needle nail knot a couple times for backing, but that's just getting silly.
jaybo41 and caseywise like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

When attaching backing to the fly line several things come into consideration. First is this a standard floating line or a solid core intermediate? Intermediate lines do not take well to some knots such as a nail knot. Secondly will you be changing that line at times when a sink tip or sinking line is needed for instance? If so then you'll want a quick change feature such as the loop to loop connection. When making the loop in that fly line do not just fold it over as the resulting bump may catch a guide with a fast running fish and cause a disaster. If your line has a braided core, either add a braided loop or strip the coating off and then make a loop in the braid such as is described in the web article, '' Getting Looped," by Dan Blanton. Always consider the breaking point of knots and the class tippet as this may save your fly line. Fly lines range from 12 lb test core in some very light lines to 30 lb test in the heavier ones, depending on the fly line and manufacturer. For those of you using Power Pro or similar braid backing, there are an entire set of rules/thoughts on securing that slick stuff and most involve a drop of Loctite 406 or something similar.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Hi Angelo:

I just use a Nail Knot, tied with a "Sip-Stir" straw from the grocery store, and cut to about an inch and a half long.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I've never had a nail knot fail on trout and steelhead lines. Salt water applications may be a different story. I like the Tie-fast knot tool for fly line to backing knots and a brass tube for leader to fly line nail knots.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

To me it depends, for me I rarely have to get to the backing, and use it mainly to fill in some space. A nail knot works perfectly fine and I imagine even if I went back that far it would still perform just fine.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Wait....you supposed to backing on a reel?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM

sean_k is on a distinguished road

Light fly line (1-6 wt) just tie a perfection loop and make a loop to loop connection with the built in loops. Heavier weight lines, cut the factory loops tie in your own, stronger loop and again use a perfection loop to connect. If you dont want the loop connections or if there is little possibility you will need to change the line with any regularity then go with a nail knot.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I use an Albright knot, which I find easier to tie than a nail knot.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I've always used a nail knot and a braided loop connector for everything from 6" trout to 15 lb redfish, Ive never had a any knot but the tippet knot fail on me.