The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default How to attach backing to fly line: Best knot??

Just purchased new fly line. What is the best knot to use when attaching fly line to your backing?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to attach backing to fly line: Best knot??

I just use a nail knot, I know there are many other ways but I like the simplicity of this one
FrankB2, jaybo41 and caseywise like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, nail knot here as well.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

We just finished a discussion on this last week, here is the link.

Bimini Twist: Backing To Fly Line

Dave
mbchilton likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Yeah do a search -- this question comes up almost daily on the forum.

I HATE nail knots and think they are, by simple mechanics, an inferior knot that shouldn't be used. I prefer a castwell knot or an albright knot instead. IME both are more secure than a nail knot.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Did the fly line come with a loop on both ends? If it did, I use a perfection loop in the backing to attach it. If the fly line didn't have a loop, nail knots have always worked for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

I ran a search on the net recently since the Airflo line I had just got in had welded loops on BOTH ends. Turns out, after my research, that the Albright was a great one to use. So that is the one I went with. Pretty easy to tie and should be rock solid.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good reference.

Orvis_Knots
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I just bought 2 new fly lines. I also changed some fly lines from one reel to another and I used Albright knots even though some of the fly lines had welded loops.

I always used nail knots but I didn't trust this knot....especially for my 9 weight line for salmon, pike etc.

I was surprised at how slim an Albright knot really is.

I even used an Albright knot to tie flat shooting mono back line to a fly line. However, I had to make at least 10 wraps because anything under 8 wraps.....the mono would slip.

Last edited by dabluz; 02-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I recomend the Bimini Loop method as described in the Bimini thread, however, booth the Albright and Nail Knot are fine. If you employ the Nail Knot it must be a multi turn version (12 to 15 wraps) to distribute fully seated tension over an adaquit area of fly line to avoid coating stripping.