The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help.

I am trying to make a decision on a 4wt or 5wt and 8' or 8'6". I will be doing 80% trout and 20% smallmouth on small streams, and am wanting to match it with a quality reel with a nice drag. I like to buy good equipment, and take good care of it, and keep it a long time. It would be greatly appreciated for any advice. Thanks Ben.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need Help.

Hi Ben,

When you say small streams, how small?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 PM

The wides would be about 70yards cut up with no brush in between and the smallest would be about 10yards with brush in between if that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Ben,

When you say small streams, how small?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sounds like no need to shy away from 8.5' and remember, you can always cast a small fly from a heavy rod but casting a big fly from a light rod is another matter. I would go with the longer rod in 5wt.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Ard alluded to the rod as a delivery system for flies. I'm with him on getting the longer length in a 5 weight. From your description of the type of water you fish, you can go as long as 9 feet.

There are a lot of quality rods with various actions at various price points. Find yourself a quality fly shop and cast a few rods. My everyday rod is 9 foot 5 weight Sage Z-Axis. Others might prefer Scott S4, TFO Axiom, or Redington CT. The one that you want will be the one that feels like a natural extention of your arm.

Like rods, there are plenty of quality reels on the market. Nowadays with offshore manufacturing, a quality machined disk drag reel could be gotten under $150. One of my guide friends uses Redington Rise reels as his personal and boat reels because the quality is good, and he would rather put his gear money into rods and lines. If you want to spend more for time tested quality, you could look at Galvan and Ross products. In Northern California, Galvan seems to be the most popular guide reel. In USA sales, Ross is the number one selling reel. If cost is not an issue, you look at Abel or Hatch.

Good luck with your search.

MP
Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ozark, I've fished several Ross reels for eighteen+ yrs.
They are in my rentals now. Ross finally discontinued the reel to get me to buy another.
The Reddington drift is the same weight, simplicity, of design. We'll see about long term durability. So far, so good.
The Galvans will out last either of the above, by far..has a great drag, and Good folks supporting too.
I vote for the 9ft. rod, it will fish more species/water, than a shorter rod. I use mine on everything from small salt casting, to brushy creeks, lakes, and pretty big rivers too.
Spend the money for good gear, and it will treat you well for the rest of your fishing career.
Happy shopping;

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ben,

With Smallmouth in the mix I don't think a 4wt is the best choice. My preference would be a 8'6" or 9' 5wt. For an all around rod I don't think a 8' length is a good choice.

Frank
Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks to all.