The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default BDU Trousers under waders?

My favorite pants to where are my millitary issue BDU trousers that are 50% nylon and 50% cotton. I was just wondering if anyone has worn these under their waders? I know people say not to wear cotton, but would the 50/50 blend be ok?

The only time I have been trout fishing in streams was in the summer and I wet waded. I loved it so much that I want to do it more, and I figure there will be times it will be too cold to wet wade. So this weekend I was at Bass Pro and picked up a set of these: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-BoneD...product/10455/ that were on sale for $69. I know they are pretty cheap, but it is something to get started.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BDU Trousers under waders?

The reason to avoid cotton is that it absorbs moisture. It is important to a material that will wick away moisture. Wear your system and see how it works. It looks like the waders are not breathable which also helps to remove moisture and keep dry. If those waders don't work for you buy an inexpensive breathable and keep those for a back up pair.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
It looks like the waders are not breathable which also helps to remove moisture and keep dry.
I saw that when I posted the link. In the store the signage said "nylon" waders. I thought they seemed heavy for just nylon. I will try them and see how it works. I don't know how much I will actually get to use them since it is a couple hour drive to the good trout streams. I thought the price seemed right for a first pair, especially after the salesman went at lengths to tell me that even the expensive waders only last 3-5 years.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just an added thought to Dillon's comments above. Even in cold weather the 'average size' male will sweat upwards of a liter of water. That's a lot of juice and it has to go somewhere. With cotton it will just sit there next to your skin.

With 'breathable/nonabsorbent' material next to your skin this will tend to pass through and away. A good thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just an added thought to Dillon's comments above. Even in cold weather the 'average size' male will sweat upwards of a liter of water. That's a lot of juice and it has to go somewhere. With cotton it will just sit there next to your skin.

With 'breathable/nonabsorbent' material next to your skin this will tend to pass through and away. A good thing.
So would you say that 50% cotton is too much?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Given a choice, yes 50% is too much if its right next to your skin. As an example Blue Jeans are the worst of the worst. Stick with man made materials; the one exception to that is pure silk.

Pricie, but excellent.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Given a choice, yes 50% is too much if its right next to your skin. As an example Blue Jeans are the worst of the worst. Stick with man made materials; the one exception to that is pure silk.

Pricie, but excellent.
Another exception would be wool. Also pricy but highly breathable.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

In addition to the downsides of cotton under waders, those BDUs may get pretty bulky under waders. You may "feel" that in places you don't want to at the end of the day!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

They made tropical weight BDUs without cotton. My favorite summer pants.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
They made tropical weight BDUs without cotton. My favorite summer pants.
I had a pair of those that were my dad's Vietnam jungle uniform, they were great. I have several pairs of the regular summer 50/50 and I wear them all the time, all year round. Even the desert camo is 50/50.