The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Box Frustrations, anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
gary, every time i see that immense mound o' boxes i chuckle a bit...legendary
the other day my wife was givin me you know what for being a gear junkie. so i said "come here and check this out, this is what you have to look forward to."

casey
Casey, I love it. Happy to be of service! And that's quite a little pile ya got goin' right there, too!
Gary
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

The angled raised foam is nice. Can you get foam on its own? That would be handy for the Altoids tin or other DIY's tins. I like the idea of a good quality well thought out medium or small size. Otherwise like vintage or Altoids tins with foam.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

GT is my idol!

A few decades ago when I first started there was only one fly shop in town. I needed some boxes so without knowing any better I walked in then walked out with two wheatleys. I use them both for steelheading today.

I have all kinds of boxes for trout fishing and feel like I am finally settling down after going through all kinds of brands and sizes. My spouse bought me a 32 compartment wheatley for christmas a few years ago and that set off a real problem with me. I bought another 16 compartment with foam on the other side and those two go with me for all trout fishing. I bought two more shells so I could use the inserts I want and those two carry flies for N. ID and western MT. I have another Wheatley I use for spring creeks, and use a Flambeau for my hoppers.

For my float tube I use two waterproof boxes from Wind River and really like them, plus two nice generic foam lined boxes from my favorite fly shop (Red Shed).

So,

Seven Wheatleys
Two Wind Rivers
A flambeau
Two fly shop boxes

Sitting at my desk collecting dust are three scientific anglers boxes that are shredded, a couple from Orvis that I never did like, and about two dozen of those compartment plastic boxes.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
The angled raised foam is nice. Can you get foam on its own? That would be handy for the Altoids tin or other DIY's tins. I like the idea of a good quality well thought out medium or small size. Otherwise like vintage or Altoids tins with foam.
Craft stores sell sheets of the foam. I have used it to make my own fly boxes. I don't know how you would make them angled and raised though... I cut slits in them.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the raised foam is available from C&F in sheets.

Dave
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
Craft stores sell sheets of the foam. I have used it to make my own fly boxes. I don't know how you would make them angled and raised though... I cut slits in them.
Hmmm, you just gave me a great idea. I just found this website that sells hinged tin boxes of various sizes. I have plenty of the 2mm EVO foam. I think a little experimenting may be in order....
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Funny. I was just blogging about this. Here is where I am and what my thinking was

Here is the what:
Scientific anglers clear waterproof boxes

Scientific Anglers

These were too small and too bulky. For the volume they took up they didn't hold a lot of flies. I ended up with 1 of 5 different types. I GAVE all of them away. And they were HEAVY.

CF DESIGNS large water proof boxes

C&F Fly Box - C&F Fly Tying C&F Design
I bought 2 of the large waterproof fly boxes that allow inserts. I purchased about 15 inserts and had those in a separate plastic bin as storage. You just make up a bunch of insert/sheets and then drop them in as needed. Brilliant.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wheatley

I decided to go with 2 Wheatley boxes for trout fishing. I picked up a used green one on ebay and will be getting a similar black one new. I'll setup one up for wet and one for dry. I like doing that.

I also have a big Montana Fly Box company boat box with an extra leaf page. It holds tons and I fill that when I'm riding along in a bass boat.

Here is the why:

Thickness
Bulky deep boxes, while they can hold big flies without crushing them are often too thick taking up precious room in chest packs or jacket packets. This makes stripping line awkward. They also rob space in sling packs.

Weight
These days plastic is EVERYWHERE. The CF design boxes are heavy but deep so I use those primarily for bass fishing when I'm typically on a bass boat or in a kayak where I have way more room and not lugging boxes around.

The Wheatley's are aluminum and not as thick. They are my boxes for trout where I have way more types of flies (wet, dries, terrestrials, streamers, nymphs) and need the benefit of compartments.

Storage ability and organization
CF boxes hold a lot but I think the Wheatleys store nearly as much and with more potential to stay organized.

Color
Probably a small consideration but since I only carry 2 boxes I go with different colors for quick identification.

Waterproof
Eh. I splurged on the CF boxes partly because of the waterproof feature. I don't think it was worth it. I thought dry flies will dry. I don't fish in the rain much. I won't put a cell phone in there. And yeah, it might keep the box afloat if I drop it. But, I dropped the Wheatley box yesterday and it floated long enough for me to grab it.

For fly storage at home. I use a Plano chest that stores all of the inserts in the top portion as well as boxes. Then drop all the extra flies in the bins below. It allows me to quickly move all my flies to a car if I'm going on a multi-day driving trip with a stay in hotel/cabin.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone thought of making or actually did make their own fly box out of wood? I like the looks of well sanded and varnished wood.

I saw one wooden fly box once. Not something that can be slipped into the back of a fishing vest but something that looked good in a boat or canoe. It had brass corners. leather handle and even a leather shoulder strap.

Something smaller, about 5 X 8 inches would be nice and maybe 2 inches deep.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I couln't even begin to tell. I have all kinds, about 10 of them.

I will say this. I have some expensive kinds with foam that pulls loose from its sticky backing. I have hand to epoxy all of those foams myself to make it usable.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
What flies are ok to put into compartmented boxes and which ones need to be in foam?
Codypom, IMO, anything that you don't want to be crushed, such as dry flies are best stuck in foam. Although, even in compartments, dry flies can be fine as long as there's not more flies stuffed in the compartments than it should hold.

The majority of my flies are intended for subsurface use, so even if they get a bit mashed, it doesn't hurt them. After they're wet, they get back in the proper shape. Most of my topwater flies are made with materials that do not crush easily anyway, so again not an issue for me. The flies I've stuck in foam is more for easy identification & access rather than a need to protect the flies integrity. If you take a look at the small pocket size Flambeau box I posted with the clipped deer hair flies, that's a good type of fly to stick in foam.

It's always a judgement call.

Quote:
Caseywise, that's a good looking group of boxes & flies you have there!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!