The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM

roofish is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Box Frustrations, anyone have them?

What do you prefer when it comes to your fly boxes?

Large?
Small?
Plastic?
Aluminun?
Magnetic?
Waterproof?
Slit-foam?
Ripple foam?
Center-leaf?
Nubies?
Compartments?
Wallets? Don't flies get stuck in the felt?
& any other's that you may have tried or come up with?

I have made my own but the foam seems to rip to easily.

Please help
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Box Frustrations, anyone have them?

Great question; threads here about fly boxes but until you listed all the options it had never occured to me just how many choices there really are. Add to your list the Hardy line with the little flip lids.

Always thought they were the cutest things going until I tried to fish out a small fly .... Personal preference is fairly small regardless of the hook holder 'thingie.' Well, I will take a total pass on the 'slot' or 'nubby' hook holder type.

But on the water I'll just toss a small one or two in the wader or shirt pocket and be done with it. Candidly, I just don't loose that many flies so "Less Ismore" works for me.
fae
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

C&F Waterproof I like the best, Tough !
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to boxes so I go with the good old fashion myran compartment boxes for dries and nymphs, for streamers any split foam box will do.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Oh, I don't know. Maybe Wheatley. Or maybe DeWitt. I dunno. Depends on the day, I guess (boy, have I gotten a log of mileage out of this pic or what?)
Click the image to open in full size.
Gary
Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Roofish, as the years have gone by & I've accumulated more & more flies, I've obtained several different types of boxes. Used to be I stuck with the Plano type plastic boxes, and they work fine for some types of flies, but not as well for others. I've had some aluminum boxes, but have come to prefer plastic. Aluminum corrodes, while plastic does not. Plastic however cracks, so none are perfect. I'm also cheap, I can't see paying $20 or more for a fly box, when a similar one with a $6 -$8 price tag is available, particularly since some of the higher priced boxes appear to be identical to the less expensive versions.

IMO, a variety of sizes is a good idea if you tie or buy a variety of fly types & sizes. I've got flies of all shapes & sizes, and one size box doesn't fit all flies.

I like simple boxes too, waterproof is good, but not always a necessity. I have several boxes that have the slit, flat foam in them a few with ripple foam. All work fine IMO, and I understand none will last forever. I'm not going to last forever either, and expect most of the boxes will still outlast me.

Here's a few I have & like:
Plano, small size about 4"X7". Holds a good number of flies.

Fox Box, has molded plastic slots, seems to work better with heavier wire hooks, like those pictured. (saltwater)

Flambeau Double sided box. One side has ripple foam, the other is like the Plano box.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Large Plano, with carry handle. This is one of my boat boxes I like for big flies.
Not sure these are still made. I have two & they have slots that allow them to be attached together. Holds a lot of flies, even big ones!

Hinged & waterproof box. Got this one from an Ebay seller. Nice box IMO. has the pre slotted flat foam inserts.

Small pocket size Flambeau box. I've had this one for many years. Ripple foam insert, one sided. Only holds a few flies, but a good one to keep things light.

Large Flambeau polystyrene box. I bought several of these when I was tying commercially to use for selling flies of various sizes at shows. Not a box I would want to carry afield, as the plastic cracks too easily, but a good one for storage since the plastic is clear.

Large Plano, holds a lot of flies. Another good for storage, but not something I would want to carry.
mcnerney, fredaevans and theboz like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

I see that you guys have a lot of flies not stuck in foam. What flies are ok to put into compartmented boxes and which ones need to be in foam?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget fleece or shearling (fly wallets) and Press-to-seal folders or bags (Finsport wallets).

My preferences:
Haven't tried magnetic, but don't like rippled foam. I like slotted foam and plastic containers with secure latches and clear lids. As a result, I like Cabelas "double-sided fly box". Seem tough and reasonably waterproof.

Not sure who makes it for them, but other retailers also sell them with their logo stamped on them.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I like foam. Flies stay put, and can't blow away when the box is opened. I can see each fly in the box clearly, by itself. I cut my own slots in ripple-foam boxes and space the slots based roughly on the size of flies I'm going to store in them. Prefer the magnetic closures, no latches/snaps to fuss with or break. And they float if dropped in the drink. They must fit in a shirt pocket (small/medium). I drill a hole on each side and run a piece of dacron though them so I can hang them from a necklace too. Each box filled by category: terrestrials/attractors/pmd's/caddis/certain river/etc. Mine happen to be Orvis. Not expensive either, much less than the popular pre-slotted foam boxes. For saltwater, I just use a slotted-foam Bugger Barn.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fly Box Frustrations, anyone have them?

Gentlemen, and Ladies, I think we have some SERIOUS needs for 'intervention.' "To protect and serve" intervention(s).