The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Dealing With Stuck Ferrules (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/310654-dealing-stuck-ferrules.html)

randyflycaster 02-12-2013 08:15 AM

Dealing With Stuck Ferrules

Dealing With Stuck Ferrules, the Smart Way | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

Very helpful,

Randy

nick k 02-12-2013 03:43 PM

Re: Dealing With Stuck Ferrules

Interesting.....

I usually just get all sweaty with a Zoomba workout then rub the connection on my bare chest for about 5 minutes. Comes apart easily.

wjc 02-13-2013 08:05 AM

If I can't get them apart using the "behind the knees" trick and no-sllip fish gloves, I use frozen peas on the male section up close to the female ferrule. Once the male section has cooled down, the behind the knees method has always worked without the need for help.

littledavid123 02-13-2013 10:08 AM

A cool trick, thanks for sharing Randy.

Dave

nick k 02-13-2013 11:53 AM

So no one uses my method? Strange.....

silver creek 02-13-2013 12:30 PM

The reason you can't get a rod section apart is that a vacuum develops in the hollow section. When you put the rod together, the air pressure inside the rod section and outside were equal. As the day warms up or if you store the rod together in a hot car, the air in the rod section expands until some of the air leaks out. As the rod cools, the air in the rod contracts and seals the ferrules together even tighter so that they seize. Waxing the ferrules does not allow the sections to seize.

To break the seal, you need to cool the ferrule so that the female and male sections of the ferrule contract at a slightly different rate. This will break the seal and equalize the pressure

If you can't put the rod in a freezer, the best way is to get canned air. You can get it a Best Buy or Office Max. It is pressurized air or CO2 to blow dust off of electronic parts.

Turn the can UPSIDE DOWN and spray over the ferrule, overlapping on both sides. The compressed gas will come out as a LIQUID and as it evaporates, it will cool the ferrule. It will get so cold that frost will form. Then pull the joint apart.

Try the canned air if the frozen pea method does not work. It works on the same principle but canned air gets the joint much colder.

brookfieldangler 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Forget all of that - throw the rod away and buy another instead. :D

Hardyreels 02-13-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick k (Post 526142)
Interesting.....

I usually just get all sweaty with a Zoomba workout then rub the connection on my bare chest for about 5 minutes. Comes apart easily.

I used to put the ferrule under my bare armpit but eventually this ruined the varnish :eek:

Good one Nick,

Ard

Guest1 02-13-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 526441)
I used to put the ferrule under my bare armpit but eventually this ruined the varnish :eek:

Makes me wonder about the safety of your deoderant. :confused:

I wax my ferrules every single time I use my two handers. In the Fall or Spring when the temperatures can drop a lot while fishing I have had them so stuck I thought I would get a hernia pulling on them. I just hold the ferrule in my mouth till it softens the wax again and give it a pull. Pops right apart. If it's still hard, the heat it with your mouth and the behind the knee trick will do it.

shimloom 02-13-2013 02:16 PM

Had that problem last year and tried the ice/frozen peas and it worked great. Also used candle wax on the male ends.
Craig