The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Dealing With Stuck Ferrules

Dealing With Stuck Ferrules, the Smart Way | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

Very helpful,

Randy
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dealing With Stuck Ferrules

Interesting.....

I usually just get all sweaty with a Zoomba workout then rub the connection on my bare chest for about 5 minutes. Comes apart easily.

Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

If I can't get them apart using the "behind the knees" trick and no-sllip fish gloves, I use frozen peas on the male section up close to the female ferrule. Once the male section has cooled down, the behind the knees method has always worked without the need for help.
mcnerney, biggie_robs and coug like this.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A cool trick, thanks for sharing Randy.

Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

So no one uses my method? Strange.....
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The reason you can't get a rod section apart is that a vacuum develops in the hollow section. When you put the rod together, the air pressure inside the rod section and outside were equal. As the day warms up or if you store the rod together in a hot car, the air in the rod section expands until some of the air leaks out. As the rod cools, the air in the rod contracts and seals the ferrules together even tighter so that they seize. Waxing the ferrules does not allow the sections to seize.

To break the seal, you need to cool the ferrule so that the female and male sections of the ferrule contract at a slightly different rate. This will break the seal and equalize the pressure

If you can't put the rod in a freezer, the best way is to get canned air. You can get it a Best Buy or Office Max. It is pressurized air or CO2 to blow dust off of electronic parts.

Turn the can UPSIDE DOWN and spray over the ferrule, overlapping on both sides. The compressed gas will come out as a LIQUID and as it evaporates, it will cool the ferrule. It will get so cold that frost will form. Then pull the joint apart.

Try the canned air if the frozen pea method does not work. It works on the same principle but canned air gets the joint much colder.
biggie_robs likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Forget all of that - throw the rod away and buy another instead.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Interesting.....

I usually just get all sweaty with a Zoomba workout then rub the connection on my bare chest for about 5 minutes. Comes apart easily.

I used to put the ferrule under my bare armpit but eventually this ruined the varnish

Good one Nick,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I used to put the ferrule under my bare armpit but eventually this ruined the varnish
Makes me wonder about the safety of your deoderant.

I wax my ferrules every single time I use my two handers. In the Fall or Spring when the temperatures can drop a lot while fishing I have had them so stuck I thought I would get a hernia pulling on them. I just hold the ferrule in my mouth till it softens the wax again and give it a pull. Pops right apart. If it's still hard, the heat it with your mouth and the behind the knee trick will do it.
coug likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Had that problem last year and tried the ice/frozen peas and it worked great. Also used candle wax on the male ends.
Craig