The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Would you offer help?

Offering help is the right thing to do -
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'd offer to do it for the experience and something else to do. If he offers some payment, discuss it; but, I doubt that he makes enough to pay someone to help out.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Yes, if it's in your heart offer your help.

As Okuma stated, it really does come down to his comfort with you. Please don’t take it as a slight if he says no. It’s a really tough thing for some of us, to hand over the keys to anyone else.

Many years ago a fly shop owner that was in the area had an accident and ended up in traction for an extended period of time. I ran his one man shop fulltime ( banking, A/P, ordering, booking travel and guides, etc, etc.) until he could return, without compensation.
We’d known each for years and even though I was with another fly shop at the time, there was a trust and confidence factor at work. It’s also a testament to the way small business owners would help each other out. I had to be away from my position during his recovery, which required the cooperation of my current shops partners.

The comical side of it was, a few of the customers that came in while I was behind his counter, nearly soiled themselves. They were the guys who’d hang out around my current shop and would, on occasion, go on and on, about how they’d never walk into that shop.

Sometimes I hit post, before finishing a thought...
Which brings us to another possibility. Might there be another shop in the area that could lend it’s help ( experienced retail staff ) to keep his operation running. If that fails, you might suggest contacting his product reps ( through the various lines he carries - Call Scott, Sage, Umpqua, etc. ) for help or suggestions. Directly after a large natural disaster, our reps called in to check on us and some showed up ready to chip in, almost before any of the first responders to the area did.
Even if the reps themselves can’t be there, they often know of retired or part time experienced fly shop staffers in their sales area, that might be available.

TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-13-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I have grown up around older guys, now help run the Family auto salvage business that my Grandpa started 60 years ago now. When I was a young lad I always hung around my Grandpa and his Friends in the auto dealer/salvage industry, most of which owned their own businesses...

Here is what I have learned about older guys in my experiences both growing up and in a business nature...

Guys in that age group came from a time when people were obviously different in many ways, they were much more respectful and guys obviously talked about personal things a lot less than many guys likely would be willing to these days and they are generally a lot "tougher" or at least try to be more so than many younger guys do today. So I would leave asking him personal questions about his health out of it, but there is no issue with mentioning you know he has had health issues and is why he was closed.

If I was you, I would simply go in there and start a conversation with him, ask him about his past as a fly shop owner, obviously you are interested so it should be a fun conversation for you. Tell him about yourself and then just straight up tell him that you know he has been closed lately due to some health issues, straight up express interest in a part time gig, not just to help him out, but as a learning experience too, which I am assuming you are genuinely interested in learning about the fly shop business or you wouldn't be pondering all this.

I personally would tell him you would do it for nothing until you prove yourself to him, maybe just start out helping there on days he is there too. You have to make him comfortable...

Guys from that era really respect ones desire to learn and those who aren't afraid to work, you clearly aren't looking for something for nothing and he will see that. My guess is, it will be the beginning to a good relationship...

Don't beat around the bush, just be honest and forward...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

Go ahead and ask. Start a conversation and see how it progresses. If he accepts your assistance; you will more than likely pick up a few tricks he has learned over the years, hear some great stories and probably meet more FF pals at the shop. As I can tell by your post; it's not about the money. In today's society most people are afraid to ask and even more afraid to offer. No matter the answer you tried.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I have grown up around older guys, now help run the Family auto salvage business that my Grandpa started 60 years ago now. When I was a young lad I always hung around my Grandpa and his Friends in the auto dealer/salvage industry, most of which owned their own businesses...

Here is what I have learned about older guys in my experiences both growing up and in a business nature...

Guys in that age group came from a time when people were obviously different in many ways, they were much more respectful and guys obviously talked about personal things a lot less than many guys likely would be willing to these days and they are generally a lot "tougher" or at least try to be more so than many younger guys do today. So I would leave asking him personal questions about his health out of it, but there is no issue with mentioning you know he has had health issues and is why he was closed.

If I was you, I would simply go in there and start a conversation with him, ask him about his past as a fly shop owner, obviously you are interested so it should be a fun conversation for you. Tell him about yourself and then just straight up tell him that you know he has been closed lately due to some health issues, straight up express interest in a part time gig, not just to help him out, but as a learning experience too, which I am assuming you are genuinely interested in learning about the fly shop business or you wouldn't be pondering all this.

I personally would tell him you would do it for nothing until you prove yourself to him, maybe just start out helping there on days he is there too. You have to make him comfortable...

Guys from that era really respect ones desire to learn and those who aren't afraid to work, you clearly aren't looking for something for nothing and he will see that. My guess is, it will be the beginning to a good relationship...

Don't beat around the bush, just be honest and forward...
This is an excellent post as have been the others. Since it's obviously in your heart, you really have nothing to loose by offering a helping hand. I like kwb's idea of offering to do it for nothing until you've proven yourself and he's comfortable with you. Let him know how much you appreciate his shop and the service he's provided you through the years. If he says NO, keep going back to do your business and treat him no differently than you had prior to asking. I'd bet if you show a genuine interest--by all means it seems that you have that--he might just take you up on the offer once he's comfortable. Whenever that may be. 5 Star post for sure, sending some rep your way too.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

X2 for the learning. I have a local guy I helped out when he had a health crisis. Not to the level you are offering but did some grunt work on stuff he was building. He offered to pay me and I told him I did it to learn. Its something I'm interested in and doing it for him gave me experience without buying the raw materials myself. A good win win. It made sense to him and was about friendship and shared interest rather than charity. I learned from his expertise rather than him needing my help. Perhaps this approach could work.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I would start out by offering to help him on the days that he is there, and maybe tell him you aren't looking for any pay or anything in return. After a while of helping him when he is present, you can probably tell him that you know he doesn't have anyone to help when hes in the hospital and you can offer to do so. Hopefully by this time he trusts you enough to agree or even asks you before that.

Either way, I think it is best to start out by doing it only when he is there so he becomes comfortable with you and the idea. And make it clear that you don't want anything in return, or else he may think your planning to swindle him somehow.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Wow. Thank you guys so much for the support and feedback! I agree 100% with working with him on days he is there to start, I would want to know how he wants his shop run before I worked it myself. His house is actually right behind the shop as well so maybe that would help him feel comfortable since he could check in whenever he wanted.

I will be back when I have a little more time to reply to more of your questions and concerns. Again, thank you guys for the support as well as sharing your concerns. This is by far the best forum I have ever been a part of and I have been a part of a LOT of them for all kinds of hobbies.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Maybe the way to do it is just ask him for a part time job. Tell him you don't need a lot of hours, but just thought it would be fun. That way he does not see it as charity which a lot of older people just hate taking.
Dan's,
Got the right idea. Gives the guy an out and gives him plenty of options.

Larry