The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Would you offer help?

It may be a long shot, but does he run any kind of internet/mail order system? Perhaps some folks might like to help out a bit by buying something, even if it is not too big a purchase, like $25 or so. I know I would be happy to.....
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Woodrivertroutbum,
Since I live in the state of Tennessee; home of the Volunteers, I commend you for helping out the gentlemen at the fly shop during his troubling times. I would just ask him if he needs help next time you see him and go from there. The worst he could say is NO!!!!.
jaybo41 and woodrivertroutbum like this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian miville View Post
It may be a long shot, but does he run any kind of internet/mail order system? Perhaps some folks might like to help out a bit by buying something, even if it is not too big a purchase, like $25 or so. I know I would be happy to.....
Thats a great idea!

Why dont you approach it that way. Say you are a part of an online community and that we are all a tightly knit little community. You mentioned to us that you had a great little shop that you love to support and a few people wanted to order from the shope to help out in your community?

See if he has any ideas on how this could happen? And take it from there. I would be in for a purchase if thats the case to help you hold your word and get in there to help the guy out.
jaybo41 and woodrivertroutbum like this.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Guys, I got goosebumps reading the last few posts. Unfortunately he does not sell online or mail order, it is a shame because that would bring him a LOT more business. RI is a small state and the other few shops make most of their money with online sales.

Popperfly, I worked in TN for 4 months last year doing line clearing for TVA, great state and you guys sure love your Vols!

I am so touched by the support here, it is more than I could have ever imagined. I am going to go in and get some materials in the next day or so and just see how he is doing, if it feels right, I will bring it up and see what he says. I am doing it for him so there would be no hard feelings at all if he declines. As people have said, the experience is a huge bonus and I would love to learn how a shop is run because it is something I wouldn't mind doing full time in the future.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Unfortunately he does not sell online or mail order, it is a shame because that would bring him a LOT more business
Who cares if he does not do it, I am sure he is going through a tough time and if you mention it to him it would probably be worth while of looking into. Start up a convo about fishing and go from there, start showing up a little more often and act dumb at times on some subjects so he teaches you. This will give him a lot of gratitude that he is passing something along. It does not have to happen all in a day. Down the line take some photos of what he has got post it on here and I'd be in for a $50 -$100 purchase.

We can start by you buying stuff for us and mailing it and the more often he sees you in there the more he will open up. Every word unsaid is dead
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

You have recieved some really good advice,however I personally would visit him,introduce myself,mentioning His Shop was very handy for lots of people,I would ask if I could possibly help him to keep it open on certain days.
On the other hand does he really want to keep it open/in business as mentioned he's going through a tough time,maybe he might be happy to just sell off his present stock ?
Brian.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
...maybe he might be happy to just sell off his present stock ?
Brian.

No man will be happy without his hobby Especially fly-fishing
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

One work around to the fact that he doesn't sell online is to set up an eBay store. You could set one up and post a few pictures of some of his products and people (such as members of this forum) could join the store and buy stuff via eBay. I'm not entirely sure how the eBay stores work but I know you can do it and I believe it's free.

Something to look into at least.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Sometimes I think our society second guesses the hell out of itself. We second guess ourselves out of showing a kindness because someone will not accept it or be offended? No one gets anywhere that way.

Offer help. Don't sugar coat it or hide it behind anything.
Kindness needs no excuse.

Anything you get in return (which you're not seeking anyway because it's kindness) is a gift. Accept it.

I use to earmark the money I gave to my church to go to a specific program. I was doing it because I didn't want it going to this or that. I realized I felt good about giving and unhappy about what was done with that kindness...so I stopped worrying about what someone did with what I gave. That's on them.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Dan's right on, my neighbor is 78 and still does every bloody thing around the house. I mean everything from unloading firewood to getting on his slate roof to clean the gutters. Don't dare ask him if he needs a hand, he'll eat you up and spit you out with a look. Instead I ask if he minds if I pitched in. I always say I got nothing going on and need something to do. Its not even so much that you'd be doing a "charity" but sometimes asking to help can put an old timer in a place where he doesn't think he can do it anymore or worse someone else thinks he can't do it anymore. You've gotta spin in a way so he feels like he's helping you out. In the end he'll get it and you will have given each other a pretty cool gift.
Guest1, jaybo41 and kwb like this.