The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Would you offer help?

Hey guys, I am curious if you would offer help or not in this situation.

I am currently an arborist by trade. More specifically, I contract climb for several companies. Because of this, I can work a 3 day week and get by. I am glad I don't have to do it 5+ days a week because I don't want to burn myself out but I wouldn't mind doing something else during the week.

Well, my local fly shop is about a minute up the road from me and is owned by an older gentlemen with some health issues. The shop was recently closed for 2 weeks unexpectedly and we found out later that he was in the hospital.

I am almost positive he doesn't have any family members that would be able to run, or help him in the shop which means he will be closed a lot more than normal, only opening when he is feeling well enough to do so. It sucks when it is not open because it is so convenient, but more importantly I just hate to see his business suffer that he has had for so long. I actually stopped by the other day after the storm and shoveled the 2 feet of snow off the steps and to where he parks. I want to help him as much as possible, even if he doesn't know it was me that did it.

Anyways, I would like to offer to help him out at the shop but feel uncomfortable about doing it. I feel like it isn't my place to offer, but I also know that he doesn't have anyone else. In all honesty, I don't even want anything for it. I wouldn't turn down store credit, but that isn't why I want to do it.

So, I wouldn't expect anyone to do it for free, but what do you think about offering? How would you go about it? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you offer help?

That is a kind and generous instinct. I think it is worth a shot. Tell him you love fishing and enjoy his shop and know he needs some help running the place. You'd enoy it and could just talk fishing which is fun. A good neighborly thing to do. If he wants to pay you work something out. Might remind him of how we use to be better at taking care of our neighbors.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the way to do it is just ask him for a part time job. Tell him you don't need a lot of hours, but just thought it would be fun. That way he does not see it as charity which a lot of older people just hate taking.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

If he is like most fly fishermen, I bet he would love it especially because I bet that shop is his pride and joy and to see someone else want to see it survive would also be an awesome thing.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

You're thoughts are great and not to take away, but let's look at it from his side(I think). How well does he know you? Are you close friends or does he know your family...stuff like that. I have a friend who had a shop locally. We were close. If I ever ran the place for him, it was on very short termed. Not that he didn't trust me (we fished together constantly). He was just that business minded. I feel things may work out. But if not, at least we know you have a huge caring heart!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Think Dan is on the right track with this one, offering charity may turn him off.

Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy works at a shop one day a week.
I'm sure that he doesn't make much, but I don't think that he does it for the money. More just to be involved.
He does all their rod repairs and the income from that is all his. Plus he gets an employee discount and some manufacturers samples..... (like a free TFO 9wt)
...it doesn't have to be about the money
jaybo41 and woodrivertroutbum like this.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
That is a kind and generous instinct. I think it is worth a shot. Tell him you love fishing and enjoy his shop and know he needs some help running the place. You'd enoy it and could just talk fishing which is fun. A good neighborly thing to do. If he wants to pay you work something out. Might remind him of how we use to be better at taking care of our neighbors.
It saddens me, in this age in which social media has the ability to bring us as a society closer together, that it appears we have become less civilized. I still see a glimmer of hope that good things can happen without the need for personal gain to come into it. It gives me so much joy when I DO see selfless acts happen. "So good on you" woodrivertroutbum! I agree maybe approaching him from the start with a "hey, I would be happy to help if you like. Pay me, don't pay me, I leave it up to you decide what your conscious can handle."
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan is probably right, but either way (as William said) it is very kind and generous to offer to give him a helping hand.
jaybo41 and woodrivertroutbum like this.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian miville View Post
It saddens me, in this age in which social media has the ability to bring us as a society closer together, that it appears we have become less civilized. I still see a glimmer of hope that good things can happen without the need for personal gain to come into it. It gives me so much joy when I DO see selfless acts happen. "So good on you" woodrivertroutbum! I agree maybe approaching him from the start with a "hey, I would be happy to help if you like. Pay me, don't pay me, I leave it up to you decide what your conscious can handle."
Five Star Thread going here. And I fully agree with Brian's comments above.

As you live close, and I'll assume you shop in this store, nothing to loose by asking if you can help out until fellow regains his health. Only three answers: Yes, No and lets talk about it.

fae