The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By c_cap
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By jsquires
  • 1 Post By dhayden
  • 1 Post By Pocono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM

c_cap is on a distinguished road
Default Setup for a trip to Chile & Uruguay

Hello I'm new to this forum and fairly new to fly fishing.
I'm planning a trip to South America for mid March.
I'll be fishing in three regions, two in Chile and one in Uruguay. In Chile I'll be fishing in the O'Higgins Region (Northern Andes) and Rio Petrohue (Lake District), in Uruguay I"ll be fishing the surf on the Punta de Este Beaches. The O'Higgins area looks like mid river / small trout fishing, looks like dry fly and nymph? not a lot of info for this area. The Rio Petrohue looks like big river w/ streamers and wt nymphs. The beaches of Punta de Este looks like sinking line surf w/ wt shrimp patterns.
Looking for advice on setting up my 8wt TFO BVK with shooting heads that will allow me to fish these diverse regions without binging extra spools. I'm looking for recommendations for running lines and shooting heads that would include a floating line, intermediate sinking, and full-sinking head. I identified the Rio Riomax II Verisitip as a good option?
Also any advice from anyone that's fished any of these regions would be much appreciated, - experience, guides, tips etc.
Thanks!!!
-allen
mbchilton likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Setup for a trip to Chile & Uruguay

I can't offer any advice, but it sounds like a great trip.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allen: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the information you are looking for, but it sounds like an awesome trip, do you need someone to carry your luggage?

I'd take a 5 wt with a WF floating line for the small trout water. If I knew the area was windy I'd bump that to a 6 wt. The 8 wt will do nicely for the larger water, especially in the wind and as you suggested a WF floating line and a sink tip or Rio Riomax II Verisitip as suggested. I wouldn't bother with a full sinking line unless you plan on doing some stillwater fishing and you're dredging the depths. When I'm throwing streamers I like a floating line with weighted streamers and a sink tip line for unweighted streamers, so plan on taking both. If you could find an outfitter online that could offer some direction in the way of fly selection that would be a big help.
kayo likes this.

Larry
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I'm not jealous - I'm not. I mean you're only going to some of the best fly fishing waters in the world, a place with friendly people, great wine, great food, you will be able to buy Cuban cigars. What is there to be jealous of?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Allen: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the information you are looking for, but it sounds like an awesome trip, do you need someone to carry your luggage?

I'd take a 5 wt with a WF floating line for the small trout water. If I knew the area was windy I'd bump that to a 6 wt. The 8 wt will do nicely for the larger water, especially in the wind and as you suggested a WF floating line and a sink tip or Rio Riomax II Verisitip as suggested. I wouldn't bother with a full sinking line unless you plan on doing some stillwater fishing and you're dredging the depths. When I'm throwing streamers I like a floating line with weighted streamers and a sink tip line for unweighted streamers, so plan on taking both. If you could find an outfitter online that could offer some direction in the way of fly selection that would be a big help.
Thanks Larry
Good advice... want to be armed with as much knowledge as I can muster up.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
I'm not jealous - I'm not. I mean you're only going to some of the best fly fishing waters in the world, a place with friendly people, great wine, great food, you will be able to buy Cuban cigars. What is there to be jealous of?
I hear great things about the country and people, even more importantly the wine and food! top that off with great fishing and amazing scenery, I might not come back...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

When I went to Chile. I brought 4 and 6 weights.. and used dry flies 100% of the time.. the majority were hoppers and variants (Chernobyls, etc)

Spent a few days in Santiago sight seeing.. get used to eating really late.. lol
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_cap View Post
I hear great things about the country and people, even more importantly the wine and food! top that off with great fishing and amazing scenery, I might not come back...
I've heard the same thing, that it is a beautiful country with some great people and amazing food and wine..........I wouldn't blame you for not coming back! If I went down there it would be tempting to stay for sure.

Larry
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have fished the Rio Petrohue and the area around Bernardo O'Higgins Park in the Northern Chilean Patagonia region and the Rio Baker, Cochran and others in Southern Chilean Patagonia.

For top water fishing on the Petrohue, a 5 wt. is about as much rod as you need (WF5F line is fine). For streamers, either a 6 wt. or a 7 wt; depending on what you like to swing. The Petrohue is mostly small river; not more than 100 ft across in most places; with a lot of tributaries (like the San Antonio) that are fun to hike up into for smaller trout (take a 3 wt. if you plan to fish the tribs). Rivers like the Baker are larger; 300- 400 ft. across in some stretches. For top water, a 5 wt. still gets the job done very well. For the streamers, a 7 wt. is better.

Frankly, if you take a 5 wt. and a 7 wt. with reels spooled with WFF line and sink tip line, you should be fine. If you're going to stay at a lodge in both places in Chile, they'll have gear that you can rent if what you have doesn't fit the conditions; they'll also have a variety of local flies that work very well on their home waters.

FYI - I've posted threads with pics on out trips to Chile; one that included the Petrohue about 3 years ago, and the other that included the Baker, Cochrane and others last year. You should be able to find them on the forum if you''re interested in seeing the waters in those regions.

Chile is one of the friendliest countries that we've visited in South America; you will have a good time. Don't forget to spend some time in Santiago; it's a great city.

Have fun!

Pocono
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
My wife and I have fished the Rio Petrohue and the area around Bernardo O'Higgins Park in the Northern Chilean Patagonia region and the Rio Baker, Cochran and others in Southern Chilean Patagonia.

For top water fishing on the Petrohue, a 5 wt. is about as much rod as you need (WF5F line is fine). For streamers, either a 6 wt. or a 7 wt; depending on what you like to swing. The Petrohue is mostly small river; not more than 100 ft across in most places; with a lot of tributaries (like the San Antonio) that are fun to hike up into for smaller trout (take a 3 wt. if you plan to fish the tribs). Rivers like the Baker are larger; 300- 400 ft. across in some stretches. For top water, a 5 wt. still gets the job done very well. For the streamers, a 7 wt. is better.

Frankly, if you take a 5 wt. and a 7 wt. with reels spooled with WFF line and sink tip line, you should be fine. If you're going to stay at a lodge in both places in Chile, they'll have gear that you can rent if what you have doesn't fit the conditions; they'll also have a variety of local flies that work very well on their home waters.

FYI - I've posted threads with pics on out trips to Chile; one that included the Petrohue about 3 years ago, and the other that included the Baker, Cochrane and others last year. You should be able to find them on the forum if you''re interested in seeing the waters in those regions.

Chile is one of the friendliest countries that we've visited in South America; you will have a good time. Don't forget to spend some time in Santiago; it's a great city.

Have fun!

Pocono
Excellent advice,

Thanks a bunch!!!

My 5 wt is a two piece and doesn't travel well so I'm thinking of bringing my 6wt echo ion and my 8wt TFO BVK. I could likely get by with only the 6wt but I recently built the BVK for the surf and really want to use it on the beaches of Puta del Este Uruguay

I found your post Patagonia on the Fly very informative but the pics have been deleted

Again, thanks for the feedback!!