The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 AM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Middle Tennessee CFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
So is this coldwater or warmwater fishing? The fly selection seems to be coldwater.
Ditz,

The majority of the flies will work for the May time period, water temps will be in the mid to upper 50's in May depending on our spring weather here in Tennessee. The Duck River where the gals will be fishing is tailwater; they will be releasing water all the time from the lake anywhere from 100 to 150 cfs while achieving summer pool. Now if any of the gals continue their fly fishing adventure the dry flies will come in handy for the Elk River http://www.flyfishtennessee.com/River_Descriptions/elkriver.html & Caney Fork http://www.flyfishtennessee.com/River_Descriptions/caneyfork.html which is the next major trout rivers here in Middle Tenn.

Keven

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold

I just wanted to add a note if anyone is still interested in donating to the CFR outing scheduled for May, I would need to receive the flies by end of April.

Thanks again everyone
Keven

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Keven: I have my flies almost finished, should have them done tomorrow, total of 8 dozen flies plus 16 pink hoppers for pinning on their hats.

Larry

Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Keven: I have my flies almost finished, should have them done tomorrow, total of 8 dozen flies plus 16 pink hoppers for pinning on their hats.

Larry
Larry, that is unbelievable! 8-dozen, you have been busy tying. I cant wait to see the CFR gals faces when they receive all these flies being donated. Thanks so much for helping out, looking forward to seeing the pink hoppers when they arrive. I am sure they will go over big.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Larry, that is unbelievable! 8-dozen, you have been busy tying. I cant wait to see the CFR gals faces when they receive all these flies being donated. Thanks so much for helping out, looking forward to seeing the pink hoppers when they arrive. I am sure they will go over big.
Keven: I delivered the pink hoppers to the Wyoming CFR coordinator today, I have the same number ready to go for the Tennessee CFR program.
Click the image to open in full size.
fysh likes this.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Keven: I delivered the pink hoppers to the Wyoming CFR coordinator today, I have the same number ready to go for the Tennessee CFR program.
WOW!!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Larry, I was told there would be 14 gals for this years CFR outing.

Keven
Just for future reference the CFR Retreats are always limited to 14 participants and 8-10 Retreat Staff and/or Training Volunteers.

Popperfly, Thanks for helping out with your local CFR Group. And Larry....you know how much your efforts are appreciated.

The local gals coordinating these retreats (and all of the fund raising events and outreach efforts associated with them) work their tails off and receive very little for their efforts, they do it because of a love for the program and what it represents.

Any and all donations are very much appreciated, and don't be afraid to search out and support your local state program.
mcnerney and popperfly like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Administrator

John: Thanks for the heads up on the number of gals at the retreat!

Keven: The TN CFR flies are completed, I will get them in the mail headed your way this afternoon. This old fly box is courtesy of JP, all the way from France.

I think you will recognize this fly box.
fysh and popperfly like this.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
John: Thanks for the heads up on the number of gals at the retreat!

Keven: The TN CFR flies are completed, I will get them in the mail headed your way this afternoon. This old fly box is courtesy of JP, all the way from France.

I think you will recognize this fly box.
I found the flies on the counter when I returned home from the Midwest Fly Fishing show last night, they look just as good as the pictures show. Larry thanks again for all your hard work providing flies for the Middle Tennessee CFR gals, they will be excited to see the Pink foam flies.

Keven
fysh likes this.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Kevin: Good to hear the CFR flies made it out your way. Please post a photo of your pink wooly buggers when you get them finished. I've been playing around with a few versions of a pink beetle that I plan to use for next year's flies. I also wanted to report that I attended the local TU chapter meeting and Vicky did a great presentation on the Wyoming CFR program, it went over so well the chapter stepped up and decided to fund one gal to this year's retreat which will be in Dubois, WY at the end of July. Vicky said it costs approx. $1k to send each gal and like Fysh stated each retreat has 14 gals in attendance that either have breast cancer or have been treated for breast cancer.
fysh and popperfly like this.