The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM

dulf is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing trouts in USA for the first time.

First of all, I apologize for the quality of my english.

I live in Brazil and have been fly fishing our local species for a while, in warm water lakes and dams mostly.
I consider myself as a beginner to intermediate fly caster and newbie tyer.
However, have never had the opportunity to wading or fly fishing TROUTS in creeks or rivers.
So, I am willing to do that this year around May in USA. In principle it is going to be just me.
My idea is a 2 to 3 days fly fishing activity, 1 or 2 days inland travelling, accommodation and arrangements of a total stay length of 7 to 8 days.
Arriving in Denver, New York, Chicago, L.A. or any other big city that would make overall cost of the trip reasonable. Then, rent a car and drive to the fishing spot.

Of course, I do have many doubts, but for starters I ask:

. How do I get the fishing license and how long it takes?
. Shall I bring my gear (9' #5 and 8,6' #3) or it would be easer to rent?
. I will need to buy wader, boots and some flies at least.
. Do I need a guide. In affirmative case, for every single day or just the first 1/2 day.
. Is this time of the year OK? Should I antecipate or postpone a bit?

Please consider I want to keep my expenses between budget and regular.

Finally I would like to say that I am aware that it is impossible to learn Fly Fishing Trouts in one or 2 days, even years, but I humbly would like to try to "feel the taste", lets say.

So, I count on your suggestions of any sort (region, area, accomodation, gear, guide, weather, packages, average costing, additional information, etc.) and thank you very much in advance.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing trouts in USA for the first time.

1. Most places that I have been, offer a license for as little as half of a day to five day licenses. Just google the states fishing license you would like to get, because some states can print them out on the spot, some require mail. It varies by state.
2. It would be cheaper to bring your own gear, make sure they are properly protected, if you can, try and carry them on.
3. As for guides, there are lots of them out there, and I would suggest if you have never fished for US trout, to get one, but they can be expensive. They are not required, sometimes guides have access to private property that you may otherwise not have access to, there are many factors, but I would recommend at least one day with a guide.
4. There are a lot of different climates in the US right now. You can fish all year in a lot of places near Denver all year for trout, some times are better than others. New York and Chicago would require a little bit more travel and these areas have been getting a lot of snow recently. I would avoid LA, not to much there without driving a really long distance. You might take into consideration somewhere like Charlotte NC or Knoxville TN to fish the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and Rivers around it, such as the South Holsten, or the Watauga. You have lots of options and I suggest doing lots of research into as many as you can find, because the last thing you want to do is wast your time and money.
5. I would say that a good time of year for most parts of the country is our Spring and Fall seasons. March-May and Sep-Nov.

Hope I helped more than hurt!!
dulf likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dulf: Sounds like a great trip, first off you need to pick a region you want to visit and fish. Swhite1989 offered some good ideas. If it were me, I would fly into Salt Lake City, UT or Denver, CO and rent a car. By all means bring your own rod and reel, unless you definitely decide to hire a fly fishing guide. Most outfitters will have gear that you can use, some also rent including waders/wading boots. If you want to try fishing on your own it would be better to bring your own gear. Almost all outdoor stores, fly shops, WalMart, etc can sell fishing licenses (the license will be good for the state that sells the license). For example, if you buy a fishing license for Utah it is good in Utah, but then if you decide to travel up to Montana, then you will need to buy another license to fish there. Best of luck and keep us posted on your plans, as you narrow things down, say you decide you want to fish in the South, then we can begin to offer more specific suggestions.
dulf likes this.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Hope you have fun. Couple thoughts or suggestions. May weather in some states can be rainy and cool. Fresh streams and rivers are cooler. Be sure to have appropriate gear for worst to best conditions for that time of year. Good rain/wind shell, and fleece jacket. Wool socks, thermal undies, good stocking hat, gloves, could be handy if the fish are biting on a cold rainy day in May.

Renting a car is a great idea, camping with the seats all down from an SUV is doable and it keeps you close to the water. Knew lots of people that did this on the cheap. Maybe organize a trip with a one night stay in a local bed and breakfast; who can tell you secrets about the local fishing spots. Go there and camp. Get the evening fish and next early morn, all day fish with local knowledge. Just some ideas to add to the mix.
Good luck
dulf likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like a great trip! If you come to Denver there is a lot of great water in a day's drive and even more if you're driving up to one of the towns in the mountains.

Getting a guide is worth it. Even if you get a guide for a 1/2 day and just ask him to teach you, rather than focusing on catching a lot of fish, it would help. I got a 1/2 day guide trip in the town of Estes Park, near Rocky Mountain National Park. In just a couple hours fishing he improved my ability to nymph for trout. I ended up catching a bunch but my focus was learning. That 1/2 day could make the rest of the trip much more enjoyable.

Renting waders and boots doesn't have to be too expensive. It might be worth a phone call to some fly shops to see what they charge. Depending on price, buying could be worth it though. Bringing your own rod isn't too tough but I find waders can take up a lot of room in the suitcase. I'd say bring the 9' 5wt if you come here. 3 weights are fun but not as versatile.

If you decide to come up this way let us know. I'll be interested to see who else chimes in, might need to plan a trip myself
dulf likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM

I thank you all for the suggestions. I will take in consideration every comment.

So, narrowing things down to Charlotte/NC (Smoke Mountains) and Denver/CO, would you be so kind to recommend any specific guiding service of your own or close experience. (Within this thread or thru private message, as you wish)

Based on these I shall make the direct contacts, obtain the information in detail and decide.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I used Kirk's fly shop in Estes Park, Colorado for the half day trip and they were great. Have also used the Flyfisher Group and had a GREAT experience. Also Colorado Trout Fisher (affiliated with the Flyfisher Group) is great and serves Front Range waters.

Also used a fly shop in Dillon/Silverthorne, but the name escapes me.

Both places your thinking of going sound great. The Rocky Mountains are a great place to fish, but going to the Smoky Mountains could be amazing. I've been there but never fished there. Beautiful mountains. If no one gets back to you with suggestions in North Carolina, look up Casters Fly Shop in Hickory NC.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

I dont know nearly as much about the Colorado/Western States, as I do about the Eastern States, but the good thing about the Smokey National Park is that there is all types of fishing that can be done.
WNC Fly Fishing Trail
Has a ton of information on the whole Western NC area. It breaks everything down very easy, and has a lot of good recommendation. Check it out, and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Willian and swhite,

I appreciate the additional information. Thank you all.

If I ever can be of any help regarding Fly Fishing in Brazil, please let me know.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulf View Post
First of all, I apologize for the quality of my english.

I live in Brazil and have been fly fishing our local species for a while, in warm water lakes and dams mostly.
I consider myself as a beginner to intermediate fly caster and newbie tyer.
However, have never had the opportunity to wading or fly fishing TROUTS in creeks or rivers.
So, I am willing to do that this year around May in USA. In principle it is going to be just me.
My idea is a 2 to 3 days fly fishing activity, 1 or 2 days inland travelling, accommodation and arrangements of a total stay length of 7 to 8 days.
Arriving in Denver, New York, Chicago, L.A. or any other big city that would make overall cost of the trip reasonable. Then, rent a car and drive to the fishing spot.

Of course, I do have many doubts, but for starters I ask:

. How do I get the fishing license and how long it takes?
. Shall I bring my gear (9' #5 and 8,6' #3) or it would be easer to rent?
. I will need to buy wader, boots and some flies at least.
. Do I need a guide. In affirmative case, for every single day or just the first 1/2 day.
. Is this time of the year OK? Should I antecipate or postpone a bit?

Please consider I want to keep my expenses between budget and regular.

Finally I would like to say that I am aware that it is impossible to learn Fly Fishing Trouts in one or 2 days, even years, but I humbly would like to try to "feel the taste", lets say.

So, I count on your suggestions of any sort (region, area, accommodation, gear, guide, weather, packages, average costing, additional information, etc.) and thank you very much in advance.
This will sound 'out of sorts,' but I've read this same question/same person on at least three other Fora. The post above is a 'cut and paste,' and thoroughly answered. I have no problem with the base question, but how many times/where do you have to ask?

Or to re-phrase that, you have more questions, just ask them 'there?'

fae