The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Is ferrule wax necessary?

When Orvis fixed my rod and sent it back last year, they included a small containing of ferrule wax. I have never used ferrule wax before, and it has never seemed all that necessary or helpful to me.

Are you supposed to use it all the time, or just for long outings?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is ferrule wax necessary?

I use it sometimes, about as often as I turn clocks back each year.

Why Orvis sent the wax might depend on where the rod broke. If it broke at the ferrule, they might be suggesting that some wax would help seat the ferrules better than not using wax at all. If that's the case, a little every now and then is the procedure I see used most often. The wax is super sticky, but you should check the ferrules (male and female) for grit. The male part is easy, and you can run a Q-Tip inside the larger female ferrule ends. The smaller sections can be cleaned with a piece of rolled paper towel. That works for me, and something I do regardless of whether they've been waxed.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

If you never used it how do you know its not helpful? It actually makes things a little easier and increases the life of the ferrule. It allows for a tighter connection, and wears down the ferrule less. I use it maybe 2 - 6 times per year depending on how much I go fishing.

From their website;

"Extend the life of your fly rods with Orvis Ferrule Wax. Eliminates friction and wear when putting fly rods together and taking them apart. Lubricates the ferrule as it flexes during use and prevents undo wear and tear. Allows the ferrule to engage deeper and more firmly eliminating loosening and potential damage. Lubricate the male end and insert with a 90 degree twist for best results."
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

I use it on my 1wt troutbum, when I've got cabin fever.. makes me feel a bit better
double d likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Orvis ferrule wax fairly often, after every third fishing day. But prior to each use I clean the old off with a clean rag. With my new Far & Fine I gently tried putting together without the wax and felt a lot of friction, used the wax and it was much better. Besides if the rod manufacturer thinks enough of the wax to send it with the rod, there's a valid reason for it.

Dave
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I think it's a good idea to wax graphite ferrules. I just use parafin wax, and smear it around between thumb and forfinger to get it as thin as possible.

I did not use wax on the nickel silver ferrules on my bamboo rods because they would not fit properly with wax on them. In fact, the rod bag tag on a bamboo rod of mine specifically states to use them dry.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

When at home, I use compressed air to clean out grit from the female ferrules. Works great.

I don't use ferrule wax much on my rout rods and probably should but I do use it on the switch rod religiously.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

My first rod, an 8'6" 3-piece 4wt. was built by a friend. After a year or two the top piece would occasionally end up in the water when I cast. Ferrule wax solved the problem.
double d likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
My first rod, an 8'6" 3-piece 4wt. was built by a friend. After a year or two the top piece would occasionally end up in the water when I cast. Ferrule wax solved the problem.
Noiso , I had an Orvis 8'6" 4-piece 4wt T3, that did exactly the same...

Ferrule Wax was the answer
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

A friend put me on the stuff a few years ago. I was taking apart my spey rod and could not get the sections undone easily, and you could hear them squeak when I was trying to twist them. He jumped out of his truck and grabbed his wax and did my rod up right there in the parking lot. Worked very, very well. I bought some and now do all of my rods. I think well made rods fit very tightly, and it prevents possible damage when trying to get them apart.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.