The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM

lecanuck is on a distinguished road
Default orvis superfine touch or Hardy lightweight

Hi ,i'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

i'm looking for a full flex kind of a dry fly rod in the 400 to 500 dollars area!

i like to hear a bout the orvis superfine touch and the Hardy lightweight,i even think about the Hardy glass rod!!it's a very different rod then the others but for me the ros as a little something...

i'm looking for 5 wt,as i do most of my fishing in the east.

thank you
Old 05-30-2014, 04:10 AM

james82 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: orvis superfine touch or Hardy lightweight

I found this through an internet search while trying to answer the same question. Did you buy either rod? Did you test both? Interested to hear any ideas you have on the topic.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Can't answer your question regarding what the OP ended up buying. However I will say that I have been Orvis Superfine rods for a long while and have nothing but good things to say regarding how they preform as a dry fly rod.

I mostly fish a 1 wt, but also own a 5 wt and very much enjoy both rods. I am a confirmed dry fly bigot, so I can't say how they fish using other methods, but I personally very much like the way the rods cast and fish.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

+4 to what pszy22 said... I've long had a love for the unsanded Orvis graphites of the past, and the older Superfine series. Sweet-casting rods, and maybe one of the best designs of the Orvis Company... ever! They were/are under-stated in their "window dressings" and reliable to a fault.

I do like the new Superfine Touch, and even find the glass Superfines to be really nice rods. They cast well and feel good. Still, I just wish that the designers would return to less of a "flash factor" in their hardware choices...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:28 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I 'm totally with Jerry in preferring the older 2 pc unsanded versions. But I guess in a world dominated by a "faster the better" mind set, beggars can't be choosers.
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM

medic77 will become famous soon enough

I love both of my Orvis SFT. I have a 9'0 6wt and an 8' 4wt. Orvis is now making the SFT in glass now. I haven't cast it yet for fear that I will love it too much. Love all the slower rods. I would have bought the Sage Circa but for the extra 200-300 bucks it wasn't worth it over the SFT. I'm on a mission too for a slower shorter smallmouth rod.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:01 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic77 View Post
Orvis is now making the SFT in glass now. I haven't cast it yet for fear that I will love it too much.
Once you go glass you will never go back! I have an Orvis 7'9 "Far & Fine. It is a tremendous rod, but with dry fly season in high gear I find myself grabbing my CBarclay 7'2 3wt. most of the time these days. I just love fiberglass fly rods.

Medic, I noticed on your profile that you are located near St. Louis. Chris, who is CBarclay is located in south city. You may want to check out his offerings.

Readings fly shop located near Bennett Springs has a good assortment of the Redington and Echo glass offerings that you can test cast on his casting pond. You may want to check them out too.
medic77 likes this.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Though not a 5wt. but a 4wt., my question is "why spend $500?"

Orvis 4 wt. Rod & English Battenkill 3/4 Reel

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough

I'm far from educated on the nuances of all the different rods available, and have recently re-visited the sport after a long absence. With that said, I'm having a great time with my Orvis 7'9" 'far and fine' that I built from a blank in the early 80's. 5wt with a Hardy Prince seems to do all that I need (at the moment anyway).

I seem to recall that there were far fewer choices available back in the last century, can't say that I envy someone trying to make sense of all that's available today.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:20 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I'll offer more love for the Orvis SFT (7' 9" 4wt). However, I will point out one thing: the tip section is delicate. *Delicate*. I admit I'm not easy on rods; they are tools and I love using them and I take them places that are rough and put them places they probably ought not go. I try very hard not be careless but sometimes stuff happens.

That said, I'm waiting for my SFT to return from the mothership with a new tip section for the third time in about a year and a half. The first time I popped the tip with an improper grip while knocking an ice ball out of the tip-top guide and the second time was a transport issue that I solved by getting a rod rack for the inside of my car. This time I was retrieving a long cast across the grass on a meadow creek and apparently a combination of the fly line wrapping the tip and a snag was the root cause.

Bad luck? Maybe, but it's the only rod I've broken in these ways (shattered a rod bushwacking through dense willows and broke a chunk from a guide on another over a ten year period previously) so I'm just giving y'all a heads up .

Oh, and Orvis has been super, super friendly to me about all this. And finally, it's my favorite rod so I'm looking forward to getting it back .