The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jackster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Voodoo, magic or what?

Have you seen this stuff? I can think of a lot of uses in fly fishing if it's for real and doesn't eat feathers, fur and clothing.

Prepare to be amazed...

The Official Ultra-Ever Dry Product Video - Superhydrophobic and oleophobic coating - YouTube
Guest1 and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: Voodoo, magic or what?

Another paper on the subject:

http://www.ornl.gov/adm/partnerships..._Materials.pdf

Looks like this would be a good coating to prevent icing on guides, among other things.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shocked and amazed ! The first thing that comes to mind is gloves for casting when the weather has gone South on me. Dry and warm are a hard combo to do. This would make that a whole lot easier.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Would like to read the MSDS, contact with your skin all day could cause your babies to be born naked. Dan is right about the gloves and my baseball cap used to keep the rain off my glassed would be nice too.

Dave
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

It'd be great on gloves. If it works that great, I can see GoreTex as a relic.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Abel already has those gloves - they're $600.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Abel already has those gloves - they're $600.
But they come with free nippers.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Voodoo, magic or what?

Wow! Very cool! I can think of all sorts of uses for this stuff, not just fishing related.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Cost is $184 plus shipping for 1 quart each of the bottom coat and top coat plus hand held sprayers that are resistant to harsh solvents (xylene and accetone).

Abrasion is the biggest enemy of this stuff. Also Natural oils from the skin will cause failure of product.

So for Icing guides I would think it would work good. As far as gloves, it would work good also. But the question for both of these applications is how long will it last? I can see gloves for fishing that have the finger tips removed being problematic. The oils from you skin will cause the coating on the inside to fail faster than the outside. So that if water will start soaking or "pooling" on the inside after awhile. The guides would work great until the abrasion wears it off. I would suspect the abrasion from line on guides would be localized on the bottom of the guides where the line would run as if your fighting a fish. The rest of the guide would still be coated. But I would be concerned that as the ice starts building up on the areas that have had coating worn away it would even start forming over coated areas.

A neat product but as always the devil is in the details. I might give it a try. Gloves would be the first thing I 'd try.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Very cool, Jackster. Thanks.