The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slow Rod Delight

Just about to go jump back in the river for a little more fishing (didn't dress warm enough) after warming up in the car for a few minutes and I wanted to comment on just how cool it is to be fishing with a slower rod. Fishing with a Far & Fine 7' 9" 5wt as compared to my Orvis Helios 9' 5wt and the differences are amazing. First and foremost this F&F will lay a fly down so gently its hard to see a ripple. Casting is more accurate and very little lost in distance but a big gain in presentation on short casts. Had no idea I was missing out on so much fun, but don't get my wrong, the Helios is a great rod too, it just needs to learn how to share time with me...

Dave
fysh, mcnerney, gt05254 and 2 others like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slow Rod Delight

Dave: Sounds like your having too much fun! Glad you like the new Orvis Far and Fine rod.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Another convert!

I'm more than happy to hear that you are liking the rod Dave. A few members have picked them up and gave them a fair test and of those who have I haven't heard a bad review. I have been giving praise to these old rods for all the time that I've been here on the forum. Mine is waiting out the winter so that it can make the kind of casts that you are enjoying when the ice goes out. When I do go trouting and grayling fishing with it, this will mark our 34th year of fishing together. What did you put on for a reel? You probably know that I have my original Featherweight for use with mine. Those reels balance perfect and handle whatever I hook into also.

You mentioned distance; I can fish real close or lay out 75' casts with almost the same amount of effort. You will end up doing the same I'm sure.

Ard
littledavid123 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good slow rods are such a pleasure to lay a line down with! It's sort of like a slow dance it can only lead to something good! Enjoy!
BlueDun and littledavid123 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Another convert!

I'm more than happy to hear that you are liking the rod Dave. A few members have picked them up and gave them a fair test and of those who have I haven't heard a bad review. I have been giving praise to these old rods for all the time that I've been here on the forum. Mine is waiting out the winter so that it can make the kind of casts that you are enjoying when the ice goes out. When I do go trouting and grayling fishing with it, this will mark our 34th year of fishing together. What did you put on for a reel? You probably know that I have my original Featherweight for use with mine. Those reels balance perfect and handle whatever I hook into also.

You mentioned distance; I can fish real close or lay out 75' casts with almost the same amount of effort. You will end up doing the same I'm sure.

Ard
Ard, recommend a search for "A Blind Pig Story" you may enjoy how this F&F came to be in my possession. Page 3 has the pic. Like this rod so much my hat goes on the ground to protect it when I need to sit it down.

Slinging 50' now and not even trying for distance.

Dave
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Nearly twenty years ago I bought my wife a Far and Fine for her first rod. Since then she has fished a Winston LT 8'9" 5wt, and a couple of bamboo as her go to rods. Just this past season she decided to bring the Far and Fine to Michigan after quite a few years of sitting in the closet, and rediscovered how nice a rod it is. I think it has regained its place as her favorite! She is also a much better caster now than when she first "retired" that rod and really knows what she likes in a flyrod. I like the fact that it is not a flashy glossy rod just a real gem of a fishing rod.
Hardyreels and yonder like this.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Is that Helios of yours a midflex or a tip flex?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Mid-Flex, but don't let the name fool yah, it is still a fast flex rod.

Dave
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Okay, I am confused. I have a 9-foot, 5wt Orvis Clearwater rod. Is that a fast rod or a slow rod? I tried the Echo Carbon and some sort of Sage and I picked ti Clearwater whenever I purchased my first rod.

Maybe I just don't know what I don't know. I don't actually know "why" I picked what I did since I had nothing to compare it with--it sort of just happened.

I seem to be able to work it, to a point. The first casts I ever took on the water was whenever an old guy taught me how to roll cast late this past September. To be truthful, that is all I really have ever done on the water: roll cast.

Sometimes it takes a while to "get in stroke," but once I figure things out, I can usually hit where I am trying for the most part. Not exactly by any stretch of imagination but within a foot or so which sort of surprises me!

Should a newbie be using a slow rod? A fast rod? Mid-flex? Tip Flex? 5wt? 6wt?

Answer is probably any of the above. Use what you have. Figure it out. Then try something else once you can use what you own.

I really think my rod is too long because I am constantly smacking bushes and limbs and whatnot in many of the places I have tried to fish. But I know I want to try it this year in some real open areas on lakes for bass, so I know it will not be too long then. In the meantime, I need to learn to use what I have.

I am just confused as to what slow and fast really mean? I am assuming slow gives you more control but you sacrifice distance, right?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope to be able to contribute answers in this forum soon instead of only asking questions.

Thanks,
ray
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 PM

Hello Ray, you have answered your own questions quite well, which tells me it won't be long before these problems will be a thing of the past. What can be done to improve upon your skills is practice with different casting techniques. This will help keep you out of the bushes and trees. Went thru the same problems early on while learning the fly rod and the more I paid attention to where my line was going (same with the rod) behind by back, the easier it became to fish in tight places.

Dave