The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gorge Fly Shop

I love the Orvis store in Roanoke , Virginia. Pretty neat folks there too.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
I've plugged them before, but Stillwater Outfitters in Sunriver, Oregon, has outstanding customer service (in addition to no tax, free shipping, and free lines with the reels they sell).

I purchased a demo Abel Creek over the phone from them shortly before Christmas. The reel had had been used in some advertising and was already lined. I got a great deal on it. However, there was a mix-up in shipping and it went to San Jose (a number got transposed on the zip code) rather than here. What did they do? Sent me a brand new Abel Creek with the line of my choice and their sincere apologies. Great shop.
I've purchased a lot from fly shops, both visiting the brick & mortar location and or purchase via internet. Stillwater is absolutely one of the finest shops I've ever dealt with.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The no tax and free shipping is a reason I shop at Casters Fly Shop in Hickory NC when I'm buying something online. Other reasons are that they are prompt and helpful and carry a ton of stuff! I'm enjoying reading through the posts on the threads as folks talk about shops they like and why, but the first post confuses me a bit. It's vague and I'm not sure the purpose of posting it. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Check out the recent posts by rayzor and nickj re: RIO Lines. This will explain the reason for this thread.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
I have grown to really dislike most of the Fly Shops I have visited. Many of them won't talk to you unless you are wearing the best of Columbia or won't talk anything but Bone fish etc and we live in Alberta. They are snobotoriums for the most part
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I definitely got the "your type ain't welcome here" vibe.
I get it all the time. My favorite is "Are you just looking today?". My favorite shop was the Fly Hatch back in NJ, I got the same treatment in there the first time around too but back at that time there were very few shops in that area so they gotta lot of "lookers". It didn't take long for that vibe to change. They've moved to Fla now but out here and sometimes while in Pa I get the "here's another one" look from some guy in a pink vented shirt behind the counter. One of the shops I do like around here its hit or miss, sometimes the guy remembers you and you can't get the conversation to stop, other times its like you've interrupted him and its an annoyance for him to ring you up.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Exclamation Please read this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Check out the recent posts by rayzor and nickj re: RIO Lines. This will explain the reason for this thread.
Good call, I have been watching this aungst build regarding the brand and more notably the 'George Fly Shop'.

I will hope that rayzor & Nick read this post. I understand that when a person feels they have purchased a bum steer they may also believe it incumbent upon them to warn others so that they will avoid the same thing. However, the forum is not affiliated with the 'Better Business Bureau' of the United States of any one of the States.

For future reference; if you are unhappy with a product - seller - seller's service, or otherwise, please keep the posts regarding your problem to incidental mention of the dissatisfaction. Do not start multiple threads revolving around the same issue or complaint. If a member chooses to start multiple threads on the same subject or post to threads with the complaints and or bashing products & businesses that can not defend themselves here those members may be considered to be Spamming the forum with their personal grievances. Spammers' have their posts and threads deleted and are removed from membership here.

Thank You for cooperating with this simple request,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Please read this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good call, I have been watching this aungst build regarding the brand and more notably the 'George Fly Shop'.

I will hope that rayzor & Nick read this post. I understand that when a person feels they have purchased a bum steer they may also believe it incumbent upon them to warn others so that they will avoid the same thing. However, the forum is not affiliated with the 'Better Business Bureau' of the United States of any one of the States.

For future reference; if you are unhappy with a product - seller - seller's service, or otherwise, please keep the posts regarding your problem to incidental mention of the dissatisfaction. Do not start multiple threads revolving around the same issue or complaint. If a member chooses to start multiple threads on the same subject or post to threads with the complaints and or bashing products & businesses that can not defend themselves here those members may be considered to be Spamming the forum with their personal grievances. Spammers' have their posts and threads deleted and are removed from membership here.

Thank You for cooperating with this simple request,

Ard
I think I made it pretty clear a while ago exactly what my experience was with two line manufacturers. Not "I hate these people" or "this manufacturer sucks", just my experience. My recent posts were in response to a forum member's question about one. Not everyone knows how to use Search, I think.

Last edited by nickj; 02-16-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I'm scratching my head here if this is 'the' Gorge Fly shop that I know; on the Columbia River for a lack of a better 'here's where its at.'

This shop has a heck of a positive following, even in the UK. Yes, you 'read me right,' the UK. One of the few that will take the time to actually walk to the Post Office and send off a package. (Flyfishusa is another, I'm (yes me) the next biggest shipper to the UK)

May we ask for what prompted this post up?

fae
Well I am going to chime in here because I have done a lot of business with the gorge fly shop (and also flyfishusa) and never had a problem. Any problems with order or satisfaction have been taken care of with a phone call or an email. I live in E.WA right on the ID border and the nearest shop is over an hour away, so I do most of my business over the internet. Those two shops are among my favorites. I have had the chance to visit both when I make trips over to the liberal side of the OR and WA and can also say that the staffs of both shops are first rate. On one of those trips I bought a part for my pontoon but found out it was the wrong one when I got home. They exchanged it straight up for the correct part even though the correct one was $8 or $9 more. That is the kind of thing that keeps me going back.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I guess I am surprised they did not let you return it for your money back?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Please read this;

No worries Nick,

Through the years we have seen what seemed like a simple matter of dissatisfaction with a product or seller turn into an almost obsessed and continual bashing of same. My intention in the above post was to nip things in the bud.

Last year I experienced an unbelievable mix up with a tackle manufacturer that resulted in months of confusion and sent me off on a trip in May of 2012 without an essential piece of gear. The mix up (for lack of a better description) began on February 26 and had not yet been resolved by mid May!

What I did not do was post about it at all. I did discuss via PM's the problem with a couple members but refrained from publicizing my issue. The end result; the company made things right and provided me with $440.00 worth of bonus / free, equipment for my having been so patient with them.

I also ended up with a good relationship with the director of customer services with this Montana based company and I expect one day this person will come here to go fishing with me. As I said it took a little over 3 months to clear up the deal but I stayed with it and through tempered diplomacy I ended up better than when I had began.

I have had a number of the most well known tackle manufactures in America & the UK make good on all sorts of problems I've had over the years with products. What I did on every occasion was to cover every protocol as I worked my way to settling the issues. I doubt very much that had I taken the position of town crier and did my best to gain satisfaction by defaming the people in question that I would have been successful.

This post is not directed at anyone in particular but is simply a brief overview of my own experiences.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Okay I should not of posted my anger on the forums. I will not post against any flyshop again. I apolagise to all I may of offended on this matter .

I have resolved the problem now . I was given information incorrect.

the matter should of been kept between Myself , Gorge Fly Shop & Rio.

We all make mistakes ... Mine was posting on the matter instead of resolving it in a different manner.

Fly Fishing is all about fun not Moaning.
Hardyreels, fysh, mcnerney and 7 others like this.