The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Real wintertime boredom ?

Boredom leads me to ask, I know it's dumb but ...

Does it annoy you when you look at buying used gear and the original owner somehow misplaced , the reel pouch or box. When the guy lost the rod sock and tube ?Is it just me a my "particular" ways. I can't fathom losing a rod tube or sock. I have every box / neoprene pouch for every reel I have bought new.

I know sort of dumb ? And not a real critical thread. I was just browsing ebay and Craigslist , it is amazing how many expensive rods and reels are for sale without all the original bells and whistles.

I apologize in advance if I offended anybody with this question.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real wintertime boredom ?

I don't know that it annoys me per say, but it does deter me in some cases from pulling the trigger on their offerings. I can buy another sock, tube or reel case and live without it IF the asking price reflects the lack of such items. It also depends on the item.

If it's an old item, long out of production then sometimes it happens. I'm more forgiving when it comes to reels by the way. No case with a reel--I can live with that. With a pre-loved rod, no tube makes me wonder how well the rod has or has not been cared for. For that matter, even where they came from.

I'm with you though, I don't know how people can lose a case, sock or tube. Makes no sense.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good question, makes one wonder just how many of these rods/reels are stolen? Although it is more plausible to loose a reel box or cover, the rod tube missing is a little harder to justify.

Good Thread, makes more sense then hiding your corn muffins in the chicken coop...

Dave
mcnerney, jaybo41 and cletus like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i agree, i,ve never "lost" or "misplaced" a rod tube or reel case.
i think some of these people either sell the items separately or keep them for themselves

casey

ARFE
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
It's a good question, makes one wonder just how many of these rods/reels are stolen? Although it is more plausible to loose a reel box or cover, the rod tube missing is a little harder to justify.

Good Thread, makes more sense then hiding your corn muffins in the chicken coop...

Dave
Dave: That is my feeling also! How do you loose a rod tube/sock. Reminds me of a big break in at a fly shop awhile back where someone stole a boat load of rods (but I can't remember where the shop was located). I'm sure those rods are being unloaded on EBay and Craigslist.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks guys, I thought I was going Loco

Even now I use the Simms and Fishpond reel cases ( hold 4 reels each ), all the neoprene cases are in the original boxes. The warranty cards for my rods are in a file. Heck I even keep the original packaging from my fly lines. And I'm not a pack rat I throw away and donate more stuff to charity than I care to think of.

I will admit I do hoard the,little boxes and pouches fly hooks come in (Dai Riki mostly) I use those when I tie up new patterns for my buddies I have something to throw them in.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't think you're strange one bit and like others I just don't lose tubes, socks or cases. I believe that some people get into this on a lark and having no reverence for the sport or equipment gear is treated carelessly perhaps.

I sold a Lamson Velocity 3.5 a few years back without the box I just couldn't find it! About six months after the sale I found the original box and warranty papers in the basement storage....................

On Craigslist nothing would surprise me as to why rods without tubes may be for sale.
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I keep all that stuff that comes with, too. Whether I could lay my hands on it on short notice is another question. Since my 4 and 6 wt rods "live" in a double rod caddy the tubes for those rods collect a lot of dust. I have to mail the 6 wt in for repair so O opened the tube yesterday. I'd completely forgotton that it came with a sock.
Only took me 50 years or so to learn to staple the reciept in the instruction book and file it. Actually, what it took was being hosed for a warranty replacement from Black and Decker.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not only have I never lost a sock or a tube, I make socks for my tubes. I don't even scratch my tubes up. I am going to go along with the theory they may be stolen.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

We don't have room for storage. All empty boxes must go.
pretty hard to imagine losing a rod tube though...

Saving fly line boxes? yeah, that is definitely hoarding behavior!
comeonavs likes this.