The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Repairing worn toe in neoprene

I am starting to wear little holes in the toes of my waders. It is being caused from my big toe rubbing inside my boots. I have some cheap coleman seam sealer, but don't think it is really doing the trick. Would something like aquaseal work better? Don't want to fork over a few hundred bucks for new waders.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repairing worn toe in neoprene

Aquaseal is bar none the best stuff I've used to repair waders. Keep in mind, less is more with Aquaseal. If you can do a good coat, let it dry then another one or two that would be best.

Are you dealing with holes on the inside or outside of the neoprene bootie? Also, is it on the top of the foot or bottom? The reason I ask is that while Aquaseal does a great job sealing holes, once cured it does have a little grip to it. It's not tacky, but it grips soft materials like socks or clothing.

Which make/model of waders do you own? I know that Orvis and Simms both do repairs. If you don't want to take the chances of botching a repair (which I've done) and have them done professionally, both companies do an excellent job at reasonable prices.
kayo likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I repaired a similar problem using a piece of nylon fabric cut into a little strip and pre fit. Then I covered the area with Aqua Seal and once it tacked up I put the little patch over it. I used the fabric because I had repaired booties before and knew that too much aqua seal makes the bootie hard to get into the wading boot.

What brand wader? Simms will replace the feet in theirs..............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

i own the orvis pro guide waders. It is in the top of the foot, right where the top of your big toe would contact the boot. I will contact Orvis and see if they can help me out.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Aqua seal, just pour it on. Works great.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It surprises me that so few people know enough to wear socks over their stocking foot waders.
It not eliminates this sort of problem but also softens the pain of any pebbles that might sneak in.
Any old socks will do as long as you don't mind them getting all stretched out and filthy.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I am starting to wear little holes in the toes of my waders. It is being caused from my big toe rubbing inside my boots. I have some cheap coleman seam sealer, but don't think it is really doing the trick. Would something like aquaseal work better? Don't want to fork over a few hundred bucks for new waders.
Yes, aquaseal is better than seam seal, but if the neoprene is getting compressed to the point where it leaks, aquaseal may not be effective enough either. I had that problem with another brand a few years ago, and while aquaseal improved the situation, even after several repeat applications I was still getting a wet sock inside the bootie before the end of the day. I believe Orvis's repair shop will replace the whole bootie for a reasonable charge, though. It's worth asking.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody else on here posted a link to a company that makes dry suits and waders. Not the one above. Very reasonable prices on neoprene waders at that. Whoever that was, may post a link here again. I hope they do. Not only because I think that would be a good source for a bootie replacement, but for the waders.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink A far cheaper alternative.

Sigh ..... as usual I'm the 'contraiarn' here. I find AS to be a very expensive product of 'questionable value' (what you pay for what you actually get).

Just get a tube of 'Shoe Goop,' cheap as chips, water proof, stays flexible, yada-yada-yada. As noted above, if the repair is on the inside of the bootie a cloth cover is a very good idea.

fae
Guest1 likes this.