The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Deciding on a 4wt reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK. Found this on another post. Might be of interest if you want a click/pawl.
I checked this link out. I like the looks of this reel and the price is reasonable. I noticed that the details state "imported". Live chat with Orvis has not responded to my question. I have one of the older Battenkill reels, manufactured in England and love it. A little heavy for my 4 & 5wt short rods, but still a good reel for the money. I intend to keep an eye out for this reel as it becomes available here or online from Orvis. I could make a place for it next to my Lamson reels. I was saving that spot for an Abel but I think I can make room for both.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM

dt doug will become famous soon enoughdt doug will become famous soon enough

Don't know if your only considering new reels. You might enjoy pursuing a used reel as I do! You don't need to go the e-bay root.There are may sites that sell quality used reels and rods. A good bargain is an old Pfluger 1492 and with an extra spool you can find one in excellent condition for around $50. I've owned and fished a 1494 for about 40 years and on 3 different rods. Never had an issue with it. For $100 you can find Lamson and Orvis reels. The reel I use on a 4 wt. is an Orvis CFO. Also have fished it for about 40 years. Good stuff lasts, some is inexpensive some is not. Hope you find something you enjoy for years.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
JCW355, since you have several 4wt Allen reels, would you recommend model 1 or 2 ATS? Model 1 recommended for 3-5 WFF and model 2 recommended for 4-6 WFF.

Thanks
Mine are all of the older Trout series discontinued models, still good reels. Maybe someone else will chime in on the newer models. The 3 reels on the 4wt rods are the Trout 3/5wt reel with the 3.23" diameter x 1.06" width spool. I think the other model will seem to big, it is 3.68" diameter. I have that on a 5wt rod. I would go with model 1 personally.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Will add my 2cents. The Allen is very nice reel. I would also put the Hardy CC Ultralites. Very light and the 4wt is under $200.00.
Craig
Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Cortland Retro.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

I have two (8 1/2' & 9') St Croix Imperial (new version) 4wt rods. The reel I use is an Orvis BBSII with a wf4f line. And it is a great set up. However, I just purchased an Allen Trout 2 for my 5wt and am really impressed with the quality. Given Allen's current credit promotion, I would not hesitate to purchase the AST.

Dave