The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Deciding on a 4wt reel

Already have a 6 wt outfit and convinced myself I also "need" a 4 wt outfit to enhance my enjoyment when fishing for panfish, smaller (typically < 3 lb) largemouth bass and trout. Just purchased a St. Croix Imperial 4 wt fly rod and would appreciate your guidance on reel selection.

My impressions are:
a) Since the St. Croix Imperial is a light weight rod, it's important that the reel also be light weight for optimum balance.
b) In setting up a lightweight fly fishing outfit, money is better spent on the rod and line. Reel is basically a line holder at this line weight (#4).

That said:
1) Is it fair to say that the most important feature is low weight? If so, is it reasonable to think the reel should weight four ounces or less?
2) Should I also consider reels with click and pawl drag (assuming it results in a lighter reel) or am I better off with a disc drag to better handle larger than expected fish?
3) Is it reasonable to assume I can spend less than $100 to for a suitable reel?

Any reel suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Deciding on a 4wt reel

Just my $.02 but be careful with click/pawl. While you can land quite sizable fish on a click/pawl just be careful that it isn't sloppy. If you get a sloppy click pawl you will get backlash when you strip line.

I believe you can get some reels for $100 or so like a Lamson Konic and they are a fine reel with a good drag.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

allens new ats reel series would be a good choice

ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

plus with their current allen store credit offer, you could get it for 75.00.

Allen Bucks Store Credit - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey
comeonavs and shortyb like this.

ARFE
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Duh, how could I forget those...

Allen's are a great reel at a good price and good guys running the show over there. I got the Trout II at the Denver show and my buddy bought the ATS, it felt real nice.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for bringing the Allen store credit to my attention. Definitely increases the appeal of the ATS.

Noticed that both ATS model 1 and 2 can be used for 4 wt. Model 1 is slightly lighter, but will hold less backing. Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK. Found this on another post. Might be of interest if you want a click/pawl.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Battenkill Reel -- Orvis UK. Found this on another post. Might be of interest if you want a click/pawl.
I was at the Bears Den mini-show yesterday and they had some of these in the Orvis booth. They will be rolling them out in the US later this spring or summer. Very nice click and pawl for not a lot of money. The spring tension has a couple of different adjustment settings, depending on your preference for a gentle or stronger check.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Thanks for bringing the Allen store credit to my attention. Definitely increases the appeal of the ATS.

Noticed that both ATS model 1 and 2 can be used for 4 wt. Model 1 is slightly lighter, but will hold less backing. Is there anything I'm missing?
Yes, the reel. Many satisfied Allen reel owners here. I have bought 4 reels, 3 were for 4wt rods. My reels are the older ones.

Last edited by jcw355; 02-17-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 AM

JCW355, since you have several 4wt Allen reels, would you recommend model 1 or 2 ATS? Model 1 recommended for 3-5 WFF and model 2 recommended for 4-6 WFF.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

get the ats I. you don't really need much backing on a 4 weight and the smaller size will suit that rod better.
on a side note, you may want to consider the ats fly line as well. i'ts great line at a good price

casey

ARFE