The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with a reel for a 3wt Redington CT

I found a 3wt Redington CT on close out before Christmas and I couldn't pass it up. I am now in need of a reel for the light weight. I have looked at the Lamson Konic and Orvis Access and both are nice. Does anyone have any thoughts on a reel that will balance great and not fall apart after a year?

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need help with a reel for a 3wt Redington CT

Funny, I too bought a Redington CT on closeout for Christmas too! Got it from Cabela's for a song and a dance. I paired it with a Lamson Konic 1.5. It is sized smaller to fit the lighter rod. With a 3wt line on it I could only get about 50 yards of 20lb backing on it, so that should give you an idea that it is sized smaller. Since we are still very much sacked in with snow here in New Hampshire I have not been able to cast the new combo yet, but I have assembled it here in the house. With line, reel and rod all put together the balance point is just slightly in front of your normal grip hold on the rod.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Redington drift
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road

I had originally bought the 50th anniversary glass rod from Cabelas. The tip broke and they didn't have another so swapped it for the ct. I've been leaning toward the lamson but didn't know how it looked or fit balance wise, thanks for the info.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hardy Featherweight. Your children can hand it down to theirs.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I like the Orvis CFO. And, I've eyed this beauty. Not so cheap,,as you buy the frame then the spool seperately, but it's a eye catcher for sure.

Tom Fischer fishing tackle - Marryat Baby Fly Reels
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I like the Orvis CFO. And, I've eyed this beauty. Not so cheap,,as you buy the frame then the spool seperately, but it's a eye catcher for sure.

Tom Fischer fishing tackle - Marryat Baby Fly Reels
My wife got me the Orvis Super Fine 7'6" 3wt with CFO II reel for Christmas. It helps that I wrote it all down on my Christmas list for her. But my point is to echo the above recommendation for the CFO II.
Good luck,
Roger
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

That's exactly what I'm saving my CFO reel for,,an Orvis Superfine.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

checkout the ll bean pocket water reels
Pocket Water Fly Reel: Fly Reels | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

casey

ARFE
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM

You know Casey, that's a good buy. Saw that one before I got my CFO from you. I bet it's a real good quality reel too.