The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By newby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM

alligator is on a distinguished road
Default Oak Creek AZ trout?

So I'm out here in Sedona, AZ. It's beautiful...and warmer than my native MN. A stream from Flagstaff runs through this area. The trout are stocked because the water gets too hot in the summer for them to survive. But the stocking does not start until after I leave.

So here's my question: Are there "holdover" trout in Oak Creek, enough to bother going after?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oak Creek AZ trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
So I'm out here in Sedona, AZ. It's beautiful...and warmer than my native MN. A stream from Flagstaff runs through this area. The trout are stocked because the water gets too hot in the summer for them to survive. But the stocking does not start until after I leave.

So here's my question: Are there "holdover" trout in Oak Creek, enough to bother going after?

Yes there are still trout in there. I haven't been there in awhile but I have seen a couple recent reports.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

There will be some holdover rainbow trout. Oak Creek stays plenty cold enough year round to support trout (at least in and above Sedona). The fish are not stocked in the winter due to lack of angler use from the cold and snow that comes from winter storms. They stock rainbows throughout the middle of summer at many locations throughout the canyon and even a few below Sedona. But for me the main draw is not the holdover stocked rainbows, but the wild brown trout. Oak Creek is considered blue ribbon and above Sedona there is a lot of water containing streambred browns, some of which grow quite large- 20"-24" large. There is even and catch and release only section.

The wild browns are EXTREMELY spooky and are very difficult to catch. But they are in there.

Check out the Oak Creek Angler's blog, he's caught some nice ones and there are lot of helpful tips in there.

Here's a starting point: http://oakcreekangler.blogspot.com/s...&max-results=7 .
Noiso likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Beautiful creek and beautiful trout - thanks for posting the link to the blog. Too bad it hasn't been updated since last year. If I am ever in that part of AZ I'll make an effort to get out there for sure.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, the blog there has a lot of great info on it. Iain has caught some big browns.