The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: No-Float Stix

I have one of the thinner folstaffs and it works fine for trout fishing in mountain streams. I rarely wade deep and footing is good most of the time, and I can pull it out of the holster when I run into tricky spots.

Steelheading is a different story. Rivers are bigger, footing is boulders covered with rock snot, and it is colder later in the year. I tried my folstaff and thought I was going to break it in half. At times it seemed it bowed about 6" off center. Fred was right, it is not as long so it seemed like I was reaching with it all of the time. It also floated which was a pain because my line was getting caught up in it. I bought a Sharpes of Aberdeen from the Red Shed fly shop and it has solved all of my problems. It is long and easy to wade with, the bottom is rubber and not metal (metal slides around on rocks), and it sinks out of sight when I am casting. Plus, it was cheaper than the heavy duty Folstaff.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM

dar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wading staffs ?

I am 63 and was given an inexpensive wading staff that was purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse that cost around $20, which is most likely the same one that you would find at Cabelas or Bass Pro.

I don't use it that often but it is nice to have when needed. I fish mostly small streams and use it primarily if I am crossing deeper faster water in the spring. It collapses and fits into a holster and is made out of metal. The fact that it is made out of metal does not seem to present any kind of noise factor as far as I can tell.

Dave
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM

caribe is on a distinguished road

I always use a wading staff due to to many ankle injuries from a now defunct soccer passion. I have learned that the bungie cord collapsible types are worthless in many of the streams I fish because of the silty sediment stream bottoms. The muck tends to hold on to the wading staff and when you try to pull the staff out the tip stays in the muck and as you apply more stregnth to pull out the tip all you do is stretch the bungie cord more and the tip stays stuck. I use a cheap ski pole or a cheap hiking staff. I hook the staff to a 3 foot bungie cord to my vest and let it dangle behind me while I fish. It does get tangled in my fly line upon occasion but I have developed some techniques to keep the line and staff from tangling.
caribe
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi caribe,

Welcome to the forum! When you get into the muck and have the problem you describe there's a technique for this. I quickly learned exactly what you have written and developed the habit of wiggling the staff forward and aft prior to lifting for the next plant. The same thing can happen when you get stuck between 2 rocks and the wiggle seems to work there too so don't throw the Folstaff away

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe View Post
I always use a wading staff due to to many ankle injuries from a now defunct soccer passion. I use a cheap ski pole or a cheap hiking staff. I hook the staff to a 3 foot bungie cord to my vest and let it dangle behind me while I fish. It does get tangled in my fly line upon occasion but I have developed some techniques to keep the line and staff from tangling.
caribe
I so hear you with the soccer comment. I 'used to be' the Goalie ... until some jurk tried to slide tackle the ball out my hands and hit my left knee with his cleats. Opened me up like a can of beans. When that repaired quick movements were a thing of the past ... and the whistle went on my wrist. Some wag once said (vis a vis Referees) you don't really know what a 'foul is until its happened to you.' Found no reason to disagree .... put the gear bag away in 2009 at age 67.75.

But back to your post. If you weight the end of that shaft so it stays on the bottom you'll find your floating away/tangles are a thing of the past.

And welcome to the Friendly Asylum. ;>) I'm lodged in Ward #2; I'd like to see what Ward 3 looks like but Ard keeps our door locked. Strange that, very strange ...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM

caribe is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply on how to unstick a wading staff and the suggestion to prevent tangles. I will try both suggestions out in 2 weeks when trout season opens here in Wisconsin. I can not wait. With all the typical snow and ice on opening day, my wading staff will always be with me. I wonder if wearing my old soccer cleats would help? Thanks for the advice.
caribe
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have a folstaff and I trust it. The aluminum is pretty thick and the shock cord on the inside is super strong. Love the cork handle (it floats) and the integrated threaded camera screw in. I also have some telescoping trekking poles that I can use in a pinch. Those don't like to get water in them tho.
Hardyreels likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a shock-corded staff that i got thru cabelas about 5 years ago.
it's aluminum and comes in a pouch with a coiled lanyard. i payed like forty bucks for it and it has served me very well.
vital piece of gear.

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

I have a Folstaff. It was a gift from my adult children. I didn't think I needed one. Now I use it going up and down the stairs in the house too.
They gave me the Abel nippers too......honest.
Hardyreels and Rip Tide like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
I have a well worn folstaff 3/4" wading staff.

I wore through the cork top in a couple years exposing the sharp alum tubing so I machined a delrin replacement top and used a roll pin to secure it. Been like this for about 15 years.

Click the image to open in full size.

The cork top is weak but the rest of the staff is solid. I wish it were six inches longer.
I have had a 3/4" Folstaf for 30+ years and I have had it refurbished twice. Once was to replace the elastic and the other was when I bent off one of the aluminum sections after it got stuck in the mud. It is now like new.

They are expensive but unless you use it , it will last forever and you can pass it down.

You can get your's repaired here:

Fly-fishing accessories, Folstaf wading staff, Volkstaf and Travlr hiking and walking staffs by Fly-Tyers Carry-All

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy