The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Wading staffs ? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/311155-wading-staffs.html)

fly_guy12955 02-17-2013 11:38 PM

Wading staffs ?

IS there a good quality wading staff out there one can buy without selling the farm to get it ? At 57 years old, I feel it's necessary now to have one , before I break something wading without one.

Michael

theboz 02-18-2013 01:29 AM

Re: Wading staffs ?

I use an old ski pole. $2 at the thrift store. Works great when I need it!

bruce m 02-18-2013 05:48 AM

I use a hickory stick with a hole drilled through the top to attach a lanyard. I don't like the folding type and use the wading staff as a walking stick while hiking, another passion of mine.
Edited to ad, I wouldn't walk in the water around me without one anymore, when younger I could do it but in recent years its been just to tough to move through any depth over my knees without one. It's just a piece of safety equipment I won't do with out anymore and when you do use it I'm sure you'll feel the same.

dakotakid 02-18-2013 06:32 AM

If you would prefer a collapsible staff, I recommend the Bass Pro White River Fly Shop staff (http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...1083005011526/). It's $35, which is considerably cheaper than the big name options and, from what I could tell, works just as well.

osok 02-18-2013 07:59 AM

When I need to buy another I will get flolding one from Bass Pro or Cabela's. I purchased an Orvis for over $100 that's not any better than sold at these stores. I wasn't wise enough to purchase in advance and got caught on the San Juan wading around like a drunken sailor. Had to go straight to fly shop and buy what was available.

Don't understand why I can't stand up and walk like I did as 30 yo. Must be different kind of moss on the rocks than 30 years ago.lol

randyflycaster 02-18-2013 08:13 AM

A good wading stick is a lot cheaper than taking a tumble and hurting yourself.

I like the Fishpond wading staff. It's very light.

Good advice about getting a ski pole. A lot of ski shops have single poles they're trying to get rid of.

The important thing: The wading staff should be as high as your arm pit.

Randy

lightline 02-18-2013 09:35 AM

I use a wooden broom handle with a hole in the top for a lanyard. Also, inexpensive walking sticks, like mentioned, work well. I prefer the wood as opposed to the metal like the folding staffs or ski poles. I don't think the sound of them on the river bottom is as "noisy" to the fish as the metal poles. Plus, they float.

Rip Tide 02-18-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 528049)
Good advice about getting a ski pole. A lot of ski shops have single poles they're trying to get rid of.
The important thing: The wading staff should be as high as your arm pit.

I have a Folstaf and it's only waist high. That's fine most of the time because it normally stays in the holster and is only deployed when I need a little assistance.

When I need a staff "full time", I take a ski pole.
It's going to be pike spawning season around here soon and that means wading in deep, murky, swampy areas.
I probe ahead with the ski pole every step ...scary stuff :faint:

fredaevans 02-18-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightline (Post 528070)
I use a wooden broom handle with a hole in the top for a lanyard. Also, inexpensive walking sticks, like mentioned, work well. I prefer the wood as opposed to the metal like the folding staffs or ski poles. I don't think the sound of them on the river bottom is as "noisy" to the fish as the metal poles. Plus, they float.

LL makes a good point about the metal pole 'noise factor.' In small streams this can/could be a real issue. But I'd like to address the 'the float' issue. If the whole thing floats this is NOT a good thing. You want that tip to stay on the bottom via wrapping the end with sheet lead or (if the upper handle is big enough) drill an appropriate sized hole and dump in a half pound of lead shot. Good squirt of Gorilla Glue on top of that to hold them in place.

End game is you want that tip planted on the bottom 100% of the time. That way, when you have to do a quick grab for the handle you're not also forced to drive the thing down through moving water to gain your balance. When you're stumbling, time is not on your side.

Nothing new to the above, the wading stick I use was made in the UK by the "Stickman." It was that 'pound of lead' at the end that immediately got me to pull out my cheque book. Well credit card.

One last personal observation if I may, you want a wading staff that far LONGER than you'd suspect. Standing on a flat surface handle should come up to at least chest high. (Context: I'm 5'11.5" and my 'stick is 58" long.) Reason for this is as you plant the thing in front of you its off at an angle making it effectively 'shorter.'

Just my .02.

fae

comeonavs 02-18-2013 09:56 AM

I was going to get the Simms wading staff but it is expensive and quite honestly I am afraid if I strap one more thing that says Simms on me people will start cracking jokes. I look like the poster boy for Simms.

Might have to check out bass pro

Does Abel make a staff to match my nippers ? ( sorry guys had to do it, couldn't resist )