The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wading staffs ?

IS there a good quality wading staff out there one can buy without selling the farm to get it ? At 57 years old, I feel it's necessary now to have one , before I break something wading without one.

Michael
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wading staffs ?

I use an old ski pole. $2 at the thrift store. Works great when I need it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I use a hickory stick with a hole drilled through the top to attach a lanyard. I don't like the folding type and use the wading staff as a walking stick while hiking, another passion of mine.
Edited to ad, I wouldn't walk in the water around me without one anymore, when younger I could do it but in recent years its been just to tough to move through any depth over my knees without one. It's just a piece of safety equipment I won't do with out anymore and when you do use it I'm sure you'll feel the same.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

If you would prefer a collapsible staff, I recommend the Bass Pro White River Fly Shop staff (http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...1083005011526/). It's $35, which is considerably cheaper than the big name options and, from what I could tell, works just as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

When I need to buy another I will get flolding one from Bass Pro or Cabela's. I purchased an Orvis for over $100 that's not any better than sold at these stores. I wasn't wise enough to purchase in advance and got caught on the San Juan wading around like a drunken sailor. Had to go straight to fly shop and buy what was available.

Don't understand why I can't stand up and walk like I did as 30 yo. Must be different kind of moss on the rocks than 30 years ago.lol
Noiso, cletus, lacanadio and 1 others like this.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

A good wading stick is a lot cheaper than taking a tumble and hurting yourself.

I like the Fishpond wading staff. It's very light.

Good advice about getting a ski pole. A lot of ski shops have single poles they're trying to get rid of.

The important thing: The wading staff should be as high as your arm pit.

Randy
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I use a wooden broom handle with a hole in the top for a lanyard. Also, inexpensive walking sticks, like mentioned, work well. I prefer the wood as opposed to the metal like the folding staffs or ski poles. I don't think the sound of them on the river bottom is as "noisy" to the fish as the metal poles. Plus, they float.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Good advice about getting a ski pole. A lot of ski shops have single poles they're trying to get rid of.
The important thing: The wading staff should be as high as your arm pit.
I have a Folstaf and it's only waist high. That's fine most of the time because it normally stays in the holster and is only deployed when I need a little assistance.

When I need a staff "full time", I take a ski pole.
It's going to be pike spawning season around here soon and that means wading in deep, murky, swampy areas.
I probe ahead with the ski pole every step ...scary stuff
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightline View Post
I use a wooden broom handle with a hole in the top for a lanyard. Also, inexpensive walking sticks, like mentioned, work well. I prefer the wood as opposed to the metal like the folding staffs or ski poles. I don't think the sound of them on the river bottom is as "noisy" to the fish as the metal poles. Plus, they float.
LL makes a good point about the metal pole 'noise factor.' In small streams this can/could be a real issue. But I'd like to address the 'the float' issue. If the whole thing floats this is NOT a good thing. You want that tip to stay on the bottom via wrapping the end with sheet lead or (if the upper handle is big enough) drill an appropriate sized hole and dump in a half pound of lead shot. Good squirt of Gorilla Glue on top of that to hold them in place.

End game is you want that tip planted on the bottom 100% of the time. That way, when you have to do a quick grab for the handle you're not also forced to drive the thing down through moving water to gain your balance. When you're stumbling, time is not on your side.

Nothing new to the above, the wading stick I use was made in the UK by the "Stickman." It was that 'pound of lead' at the end that immediately got me to pull out my cheque book. Well credit card.

One last personal observation if I may, you want a wading staff that far LONGER than you'd suspect. Standing on a flat surface handle should come up to at least chest high. (Context: I'm 5'11.5" and my 'stick is 58" long.) Reason for this is as you plant the thing in front of you its off at an angle making it effectively 'shorter.'

Just my .02.

fae
dakotakid likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I was going to get the Simms wading staff but it is expensive and quite honestly I am afraid if I strap one more thing that says Simms on me people will start cracking jokes. I look like the poster boy for Simms.

Might have to check out bass pro

Does Abel make a staff to match my nippers ? ( sorry guys had to do it, couldn't resist )
leithel likes this.