The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Water Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I wear a pfd in the Nor Cal surf, in my float tube and when wading deep fast water...and use a staff as well. I tried unsuccessfully to kill myself a few times as a kid...at 64 I'm a little less macho and more interested in living to see Patagonia and land another big steelhead in BC.

I'm a poor swimmer and used to write some checks I wouldn't be able to cash. Now, not so much...better to wear it and not need it, etc...
Sounds familiar, I think that I have written a few of those checks as well. Just turned 65 and looking forward to enjoying this sport for a while longer as well as getting acquainted with some of the fabulous gear I hear about and you fellows write about although I think "THE MRS." has a cure for my addiction to buying gear...take my checkbook away.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I think "THE MRS." has a cure for my addiction to buying gear...take my checkbook away.
wear a pfd and use a staff. Maybe you'll outlast her. Is she insured? :-)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Good point up above about testing the depth ahead of you with your wading staff before taking the next step.

I generally don't like wading into water above my hips unless the current is very slow -- maybe that's part of the reason I don't think about flotation aids. I have lost my footing in the water, but never in a place where I couldn't find the bottom with my feet again.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best things I dropped a few bucks on, with the Simm's name attache was their 'Lumbar Support' belt. You put that on over your chest waders (save for your shirt everything else goes out side the the belt) and snug it down the thing is a total dream.

Great back support, almost impossible for water to get past same, etc.
jeepster II likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I'm the same as most, staff and belt for the streams and rivers. I have a m-24 belt pack manual pfd for drifting rivers and tooning lakes. I carry a dive knife externally on me that can be used in a second on just about anything needs cutting.

I have the simms lumbar belt too and love it. Very comfortable.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
maybe that's part of the reason I don't think about flotation aids. I have lost my footing in the water, but never in a place where I couldn't find the bottom with my feet again.
In the river here, we have spots where you can set in a boat, with the weeds on the shore with the tip of your rod and the sonar says 20'. We have a lot of spots where one wrong step is a swimming not wading situation..
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I don't do as much as I should to prevent an issue, like by carrying a wading staff. I am however certified in advanced wilderness first aid so I am confident that if I, or someone around me did end up in the freezing water, we would be able to handle the situation. You can try to prevent the worst from happening but sometimes it does happen anyways so it is good to know how to safely take care of it after the fact. I carry a knife in my pack but have been meaning to grab a blunt tipped rescue knife like kayakers use to strap to the strap of my pack so I have quick access if I am ever washed away and get snagged on a submerged tree or something.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When the going gets tough I wear my vintage (I say vintage because I don't know if you can still get one) Sterns fishing vest which has a rip cord Co2 inflater on the right front and a manual tube inflater for testing the bladder. I always wear this when I drive the 77 miles to our cabin in the river boat. As I get older I take fewer chances but on occasion I find myself crossing some river and realize that I don't have the vest on. I may purchase one of the new style collar types that aren't as bulky as a vest this season.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

To a degree repeating myself here. But if I'm fishing out of a drift boat, I've got a PFD ON! Wade fishing I'm using a Simms 'Lumbar Supporter' belt. That thing cinched down to where it does 'what you bought it for' will almost stop any water getting by same. Bye the bye, as a back supporter the thing is the 'Bee's Knees.'

Only thing is, save for your shirt/pant, all your 'other stuff (vest, coat, what-ever)' goes on 'out side.'
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

I frequently get waist deep on the larger rivers. When I do, I cinch up the waist belt, and carry a staff.

There have been times when they open the dam for more flow (Lee’s Ferry comes to mind in a hurry!), I move to shallower water ASAP. Not looking to be that big green balloon floating upside down, traveling down that canyon!!!!

Respects,

Richard

Last edited by Meatco1; 02-19-2013 at 07:05 PM.