The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Water Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Last fall, I was out fishing a stretch that I have fished many times and was quite familiar with...or so I thought.

As I went to cross the river to get to fish some new structure I saw, the water went from waist deep to much deeper than I am tall within 1 step. It was a straight drop that caught me completely off guard.

Naturally, this meant water filling my waders and the current quickly moving me down stream.

I stayed calm, turned on to my back and swam towards shore trying to keep my path on a 45 degree angle to the shore. In less than minute, my feet were touching ground again as I was able to stand up.

The key to my success here was a tight wading belt and staying calm. Those two things are the number one safety devices that I have.
That's exactly what has happened to me. Twice on the lower Provo. Same damn spot too. Ya think I'd have learned. Never did panic, kind of giggled once my giblets got used to the cold water. Bobbing like a cork until I floated into shore.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Shallow water can be just as dangerous as deep water. My wife was wading in a foot of water in August 2011. She slipped and broke her ankle. I couldn't move her from the middle of the stream (slippery rocks, fast current, and a long distance to shore), and after 15 minutes she was falling asleep!!! She wanted to lie down in the foot deep water, and have a nap. I later read that this is a common reaction to pain, with various chemicals being released to the brain. The fire company finally found us after 30 minutes, but it took them another 10-15 minutes to reach my wife. We had a clear view of the road, and the area was not remote at all. In fact, there were two fire stations less than 1 mile away, but the 911 dispatcher sent out a fire company from that was several miles away. I gave them our exact location, but they were having a tough time finding the streets.

We now carry signal whistles on our vests, use a wading staff whenever the bottom is slightly questionable, and try to avoid sketchy wading altogether. My wife was in a wheelchair for two months, after surgery to install a plate and screws on one bone, and install a large pin in the larger bone. She finished her physical therapy right after Christmas, and is about 95% of what she was prior to the slip. Taking care of her while she was in a wheelchair was the most difficult time of my life, especially when I had to wheel her to a stream for fishing (every weekend, and sometimes during the week).

I used to wade carefully, but now I've been educated in how little it takes to break bones. I've also learned that just because I know exactly where I'm at, that doesn't mean someone else will be able to find intersections, etc. Cell phones usually die when they get dunked, but mine didn't get wet that day.
A wading staff is a great aid, but not while it's in its sheath. We've been sailing since the 80's, and I most of the boaters I know don't wear PFD's, or even have them close at hand. Many boaters go out in questionable weather, thinking the Coast Guard will be there if they need help. The CG is good, but they have limited manpower. We lived at the beach through much of the 90's, and the Coast Guard isn't going to be there in an instant.

Bring some food and water along if you plan on wading out of sight of others. Also bring any medications you might need, and use a dry bag for your cell phone. A signal whistle and flashlight are always on our vests now, and we always wear a PFD while underway in the sailboat. A small Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) could save your life. I gave the 911 dispatcher directions from well-known intersections and roads down to a tenth of a mile (we fish this stream regularly, and she told me the fire chief wasn't familiar with those roads. These were heavily travelled roads that connected a few heavily populated towns, so I didn't get that at all. I was grateful when they arrived, and it took several firemen to carry my wife 400 yards upstream in the water, and then another 100 yards up a muddy hill. You can hope that help will arrive, but be prepared for delays. You also need to have the gear to call for help.

I'll state this again: My wife would have drowned in a foot of water if I wasn't there to hold her head up. The water doesn't have to be deep at all.

One more thing. Aquastealth and Vibram soles might offer good gripping power in some conditions, and be absolutely awful in others. My wife was wearing Aquastealth soles that day, but a warm August was creating slick algae growths on a daily basis. I used Simms Vibram boots a year ago, but went back to felt. Felt is much more predictable............
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 AM

alden699 is on a distinguished road

A wading belt is mandatory when using waders. It will slowly the circulation of water into the feet and shoes of your waders and make evade from the river easier.
Really helpful in this regard.

Click here to view | Above Ground Pools

Last edited by alden699; 11-08-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I don't fish a lot of "big water" and I'm not an aggressive wader so I just take my time and make my crossings at shallow riffles. After I fish them of course, but a little bit of common sense goes a long way in terms of safety. I did have one experience that made me want to check my drawers. I was wading frog water one winter, making my way around an old dead fall when literally the bottom just opened up all around the tree. Apparently enough leaves had filled in the hole during the fall and after a period high water, followed by frigid temps, had deposited enough sand and small gravel to cover the leaves over and then freeze. A few steps and it all crumbled away leaving a 6'+ hole under my feet. I was like Wylie Coyote, suspended in water for a split second till I looked down. I still don't know how I didn't get wet. I sat on the bank and chain smoked till I calmed down and just started laughing like an idiot at the whole thing. I do my best to not wade when possible these days.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Around here it usually does not get very hot and the rivers are always cold so I wear my Jacket most of the time when Wading. The biggest thing that I find is breathable waders help A LOT! If they are just rubber waders you tend to go feet up with a decent fart LOL! Its something to look into and invest in as I have had cheaper waders and I feel sometimes I am like a balloon especially if I do the belt up tight. I wanted to share this video, and yes I know you cant wear this at all times but it is a very light jacket and I dont get very hot unless we are above 25 degrees C which is rare around here. And on those days I just fish smaller rivers and dont wade as deep. I keep a rule of thumb basically if its above the belt I do not go in any further as this is where my jacket cuts off.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That's exactly what has happened to me. Twice on the lower Provo. Same damn spot too. Ya think I'd have learned. Never did panic, kind of giggled once my giblets got used to the cold water. Bobbing like a cork until I floated into shore.
You and BFA have just described the fly only section of the North Umpqua River here in Oregon. You have no idea how deep the next step is in front of you.