The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Clubs

You know what I want to see in a fly club newsletter? You know what I want to hear at a fly club from the outings director? I want to read an article or hear a report on the latest outing that basically says "We slayed them, I mean everyone caught fish."
I belong to several fly clubs, speak at even more, and what I hear and read over and over again is about how good the food was, the great camraderie, but the catching was slow or nonexistent. I mean it's the same thing over and over.
Time to switch fishing venues? I see the outings schedule for a lot of clubs in my area and most go to the same rivers and lakes. If these places are so darn good, where are the good reports?
Are the good fishermen in the club not going on the outings? Too bad if that's the case because those guys possess a lot of good information that could be passed along.
Of course many of you live in areas with much better fishing opportunities, so maybe your experience is different. But I'm wondering if any of you are seeing the "food and camraderie" reports that I'm seeing.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: Fly Clubs

I joined the GGACC in SF and loved it. However a lot of its members did not get out to fish but rather enjoyed the events for social reasons. It was still a great resource.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I belong to the very exclusive Rainy River Spey Club. It's so exclusive I am the only member.

Seriously though, there is not a club anywhere near here. There are only two of us flyfishing up here and we don't even live in the same countries. Bill lives on the other side of the river in Canada.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When our club goes on a trip one of the most important considerations is affordable lodging for the group. That's not that easy to do.
Maintaining a good and lasting relationship with the local innkeeper is just as important for the success of the trip as slayin' 'em.
Personally I'm not big on fishing with a crowd. The comradery is cool but I like the peace and quiet.
Our club also has loosely organized "float tube flotillas". Somebody picks a date and a place to go and then it's who ever shows. If you're going to go, convenience is probably more important than the promise of a full stringer.
...it's just fishin'
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Perhaps this may be kind of report you are looking for. Please forgive me as it is not a fly club, but most are fly fishers. Please don't unleash the fly police on me. It's a kayak club that mostly fishes saltwater but with many fly fishers as members. This is my report for our first ever club trip to Guadalupe River last year.
================================================== =======
Guadalupe Rainbow Trout (Astor Hotel) Trip, January

Ten PACK members decended on Gruene, Tx., with ultalight spinning rods and or fly rods. Brad, Bruce and Berry arrived Thursday night at Craig N. house. Friday saw Jim R., Greg C., Michael H., 1AlexTorres, Geoff M., Craig N., and Mike Mc., pull in at various times of the day and start fishing. On Friday Geoff took top honors with 7 trout landed. Brad went up below the dam and landed a couple of eating size to take home. Most others caught trout and or Guadalupe bass in various numbers. Friday night we feasted on vension chili and fixins but the jalpenos were to hot for any of us to eat. After dinner a fly casting lesson was given to Brad, while the rest of us talked about the day, ogled over each others fly rods and Googled fly rods, and prepared for Saturday.

Saturday started as a conversation of who snored, and a little cooler temps. and north wind about 10-15 mph. Fly Rodders Craig N., Greg C., Jim R., Michael H., and with Bruce B.(spinning) all headed off together for a day of wade fishing. The rest of us launched our kayaks for a float trip, and with Brad carrying a fly rod and spinning rod, Geoff with spinning, with the remaining kayaker's carrying fly rods. Brad was not quiet ready to convert fully to fly rod. The kayaker's got to ride several rapids of varying difficulties. Will leave to them to explain how they navigated. But Brad and Geoff each did do a 3/4 turtle! All enjoyed the rapids and we were all laughing very hard at each other. Everyone caught fish this day except for Berry who drew a goose egg. Several anglers caught their first ever Rainbow Trout and some the same for Guadalupe Bass. Ultralight spinning tackle was the method that produced the best catches. Bruce B. caught an unbeliveable 57 trout this day. Something is not fair with that, and Berry gets skunked. Guess that's why it's called fishing instead of catching, except for Bruce. Everyone still got to sit at the same table with Bruce, as we dined at Scholbel's on an incredible buffet. After dinner Berry and Alex T. went to Freddies for frozen custard.

Sunday was just another great weather day with only Greg, Bruce and Brad with enough energy to fish until noon. They all caught trout, including Brad while using a fly rod. I think Brad is slowly entering the dark side.
Yes, Bruce's catch ratio per hour was about the same. Several comments were made about we need to make this an annual trip. By 1:00 all had departed for home with happy stories to tell. With the exception of two small state stockers, all trout and bass were released to fight another day.

Accommodations were excellent and provided by Craig N. at his house which I choose to call Astor Hotel. Thank you from all of us goes out to Craig.
mcnerney and Noiso like this.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
I joined the GGACC in SF and loved it. However a lot of its members did not get out to fish but rather enjoyed the events for social reasons. It was still a great resource.
I did a presentation at the Golden Gate club last year. The facilities were great and so were the members. I hope to get back soon.
mcnerney and Noiso like this.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

My experience is that fly fishing clubs are for people who don't fish much. The social aspect is great, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd rather be fishing than talking to people about fishing.

It seems that you're talking about a different aspect of the same phenomenon.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
My experience is that fly fishing clubs are for people who don't fish much. The social aspect is great, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd rather be fishing than talking to people about fishing.
I've been a fly club member since 1978
At first I was a "family member" and felt the exact same way as you..... I'd rather fish than talk about it.
About 20 years ago I started going regularly as it was some of the only time I got spend with my father. It was a good move. There's a lot of local knowledge that I was missing out on.
I got to meet people like Gary LaFontaine, Lefty Kreh, Dave Whitlock, Ernest Schwiebert, Bob Clouser, Jack Gartside, AK Best, and many many more.
I don't go to alot of meetings anymore. It's along drive, especially in the winter. But when I do go I learn stuff, I talk to people with different experiences, I see flies being tied that I'm not familiar with, (I win raffle drawings! )
It's worth it, believe me.
mcnerney and osok like this.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post

It seems that you're talking about a different aspect of the same phenomenon.
Hi.
I realise we aren't as large as you are as The Flyfishers in The US are more in numbers than our population,there are also some always tied up in work & other commitments who only fish on Holidays/Days Off,sometimes.
In all my associations with Clubs especially the one I am involved in we all Fish regularly,both individually & as a group of 4 or 5,sometimes a couple extra.
Another group of guys I see & Fish with also belong to one of The Main Fishing Bodies over here where nearly or all of The guys are in The Australian Flyfishing Team & The Wholesalers/Retailers belong to it,some belong to other Angling Clubs.
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM

I'm a big believer in fly clubs and that's why I belong to several (past president of one). It would take up too much space to list all the great things fly clubs do for their members, for their communities, for the enviornment.
It's just that I was reading another newsletter today and it struck me that all the outing reports I have heard or read have reported on So-and-so's skills at the barbecue, how great the weather was, and I just can't recall a report of how great the fishing was. Maybe the large number of wading boots or oars or flippers is scaring the fish away??? Just thought it was interesting that I see the same reports over and over from different sources.
mcnerney likes this.