The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By rockriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Dynamic nymphing

Just ordered the book Dynamic nymphing by George Daniel the other day. Anyone read this? Thoughts? Saw George on an episode of Fly rod chronicles and figured with his credentials this had to be a good book.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dynamic nymphing

what i want to know is how do you set a hook properly when the rod is up behind your head like in the show. it's a form of high sticking thats all at least when we high stick the rod is down closer to the water where you set the hook better.. Just don't see much difference in it..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Great book. One of the better fly fishing books I've purchased in the last few years. If you are into fishing nymphs it's a must read in my opinion.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I purchased a copy a couple of weeks ago. It's a full course on nymphing techniques and I'd rate it at the top. It isn't a book that your going to read in a evening and put away since it's in depth on detail. I keep going back to the first chapter and will be glad to see the ice go out of the rivers up here so I can apply some of them up here.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I purchased it a month ago. It's a good book, with a lot of ideas and techniques. Some will work for you, others will not, I'm sure. But it's definitely a good read for people who nymph, as it will give you some techniques to consider, leader formulas that are different than I've seen in other books, fly patterns, etc. I like it but like a lot of books it can become dry at times. It's almost text book in it's approach, which does not lend itself to smooth reading - but I'd be surprised if it was intended to be read that way.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you think you might be interested in learning more about dynamic nymphing, George Daniel did an episode on Fly Fishing Internet Radio. I think you have to sign up as a temporary member to listen to an archived show, but it is free. This is a pretty interesting episode and well worth the time.
Dynamic Nymphing | George Daniel | Fly Fishing

Larry