The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help me pick a new short rod

I don't want to hijack the thread but all the talk about glass rods has me intrigued. My favorite rod is my Winston TMF and I've been looking for similar actions in other line weights. Where is the best place to get educated about glass? Do many shops carry glass rods to cast?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Cletus, I haven't cast a TMF, but I hear it is a little slower than most graphite. Possibly like a Sage LL? I do have experience with the LL's and like their feel. Most shops I have been to do not carry glass, from the exception of the Scott F2 series of rods. The thing with glass is that most high end makers are a one or two man operation that roll their own blanks to order. Some of the most well known/best modern makers include Steffen, Mcfarland, Kabuto, Scott, James Green, etc. The list goes on and on. THE best resource on the web and most likely anywhere for information on glass is the fiberglass fly rodders forum (Fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum). Cameron over at the fiberglass manifesto is also a wealth of information and has a good selection of glass demo rods that have been around the country several times. I love glass!

Hope this helped anyone interested in glass....

-Chase
cletus likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

If you want a short 4 wt, you can probably find a lightly used 6'6" 3pc Cabela's 50th CGR. I have one and I like it a lot. They were $50 on clearance, should've bought the 3wt too. I see them on ebay now and then.

Cabela's has a new version called a CGt for $125. Not nearly as good of reviews as the CGR but they seemed nice and the action felt about the same to me from an in-store wiggle test.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Chased, thanks for the info much appreciated! If you don't mind, I may pm you a couple of dumb questions after I read a bit.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I am with Mojo when he says fiberglass. For the type of fishing you are describing, a Steffen would be perfect, and right in your price range too! Give fiberglass a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. This is not your grandpas glass!

-Chase
Exactly - sorry Gramps. Lightweight and much more responsive in the shorter lengths compared to graphite rods of the same length.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but all the talk about glass rods has me intrigued. My favorite rod is my Winston TMF and I've been looking for similar actions in other line weights. Where is the best place to get educated about glass? Do many shops carry glass rods to cast?
The TFM and Joan Wulff models are just a special version of the WT. Slower than most graphite.
Check out shops that carry Scott, T&T (new line of glass) Cabelas as mentioned has some glass.
Most yard sales will get you grampa's glass. See if some of your fishing buds have any you can throw.
cletus and chased like this.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Greys GRXi+ 6'6" 5wt
Greys Fly - Products - Flyfishing Rods - Single Handed - GRXi +