The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Home Waters

Here's a few of mine have a bunch more but there on my old phone..have about 15 or so different trout streams within an hour..maybe more lol

Click the image to open in full size.

Guest1, diamond rush and rubberguy like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Waters

Home waters are the top 60'ish miles of the Rogue River (you can toss in the Applegate too). Five minutes from the front door or within an hour I can be anyplace within that 60 miles.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

This thread brought back memories of following my grandfather into a place called thunderhole creek, here in N.C. I had a 7' 6" eagle claw fly rod and a bunch of his self tied quill gordons, adams, and yellow sallies. There were lots of beautiful rainbow trout that would leap into the air when hooked, and fight like champions. He always caught the biggest fish.......and the most.......and always knew where a big trout would be waiting for a fly. He taught me how to enjoy fly fishing and how to tie flies, and these things have stayed with me now for forty years. He also taught me that a hot dog was best, when fried in leftover bacon grease, served with brown mustard on a piece of white bread...I haven't forgotten this either!!!..thanks to the OP, for starting this thread........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Home Waters

Well, no longer close, but when I lived in Calif. The Trinity & Feather rivers provided many hours of Steelhead & King Salmon enjoyment.

The largest King I caught was a 36 lb monster that snapped my old Finwick HMG 6 wt. (I was fishing for Steelhead at the time, but it seems the Salmon like the same streamers). Luckily (for me, not him, he was dinner) he was done-in, and right next to the net when it slapped that big tail for the last time.

The Trinity on a cold rainy day

Now that I bought a ranch here in Colorado, I'm stuck with these smelly critters(These photos were taken 30 yds from the guest house).

That being said, they they are tasty critters@!

Life is good!!!!

Respects,

Richard
bigjoexd and rubberguy like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

The Pecos (above the town of Pecos into the wilderness) is my home river, since it's reachable in 20 minutes, with most of the road-served reachable in an hour. Within 1-1.5 hours, I can be on the Rio Grande, Chama and the Jemez watershed. Within 2-4 hours, the Conejos, San Juan, Red River (NM), Piedra, Animas and Rio Costilla are in play.

The wife and I are going to spend 4 3-day weekends on the San Juan in April and May, so it's sort of going to be the home water then.

Even though NM's dry, there's lots of good fishing relatively nearby. I just wish the San Juan was closer than 3.5 hours ...

Bob

Last edited by lacanadio; 02-19-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Forgot some waters
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

I am neither blessed with cold trout waters, nor pristine tranquility. What I do have however are the Ohio River and 3 of its tributaries; one extremely polluted, one moderately urban/polluted (but very fishable), and one that is actually a designated Scenic River.
Here's the moderately urban one, not too pretty near me but I like it anyways. This is the midwest:
The one that is designated a scenic river actually has over 90 species of fish present in it, which is an absolute abundance of life.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Living in the Shenandoah valley has its benefits:

Smith Creek - (private trout) ~10 minutes

Dry River (trout) ~ 30 minutes

Shenandoah River (smallies, muskie, largemouth) ~ 30 minutes

South River (trout) ~ 45 minutes

Mossy Creek (spring creek) ~ 30 minutes

Beaver Creek (spring creek) ~ 30 minutes

Shenandoah National Park (native brook trout) ~ 45 minutes

George Washington NF (native trout) ~ 45 minutes

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM

ra40 is on a distinguished road

I am very lucky that my father choose British Columbia in 1956, my home waters are rivers, ocean and lakes, love fly fishing but I will use whatever works best given the situation.
Harrison River

Pitt River

Pitt River

Vedder River

Vedder River

Vancouver Saltwater

fredaevans and newby like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is great stuff everyone, keep it coming! And, thank you for responding so quickly. I'm sure there are many more out there who will share with us both their current home waters as well as the home waters they grew up with. The nostalgia is great.

Kelly.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

I posted a few photos earlier, and just realized how lucky I am to live here. Originally I am from Bosnia/Europe and I grew up fishing some of the Adriatic sea when I was very young. We moved here when I was 13 years old and it is a beautiful place for sure. There is a section of the river where for roughly 6 miles the count of fish is 2000-2500/mile. If you are ever in this neck of the woods of Canada you are guaranteed some good fishing as it is world renowned.