The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home Waters

I looked through the various departments of the Forum and I really couldn't find a thread that was open to forum members to talk about some of their favorite home waters. So, here we go.

Let's talk about those waters close to where you live and are available to you when you can't make a long drive or plan a trip somewhere, yet they scratch the itch to get out and fish.

Also, let's talk about those waters that were important to you when you were younger as in home waters where you grew up. Take us for a trip down memory lane, then bring ir back to your own backyard.

Perhaps this one will become a 'sticky' so it will be in front of us regularly, but more important, maybe it will become important to you to share those places that define you as a fly angler. Those places that renew and revive you and help you focus on the 'here-and-now' rather than the day-to-day challenges we all face.

Tell us why they are important, and maybe even wax poetic when describing them and what they mean to you.

When I was young I was transported to so many places through the written word and pictures of my favorite outdoor magazines - places I knew I would never see - yet I was able to experience them to some extent. Share those places with the rest of us. Describe what they look like, favorite runs and riffles, how you try to continue to fool that large brown trout in that secluded plunge pool.

Oh, and don't forget pictures - you don't have to be a famous photographer - just share with us the things you see when you get to your favorite place, along with what's along the way as you travel.

Anyway, enough of my waxing...let's get to it.

I am blessed to live in the heart of some of the world's most famous trout waters. With the upper Henry's Fork an hour's drive away, the South Fork of the Snake River nearly in my backyard, my favorite spring creek a 45-minute drive, the Madison River an hour-and-a-half drive, and so on and so on. I am blessed.

Those who know me understand that I fish a certain unnamed spring creek that is just a short drive from my home here in southeast Idaho. Years ago, just after moving to Idaho from southern Utah, and hungry to find local waters to fish, my brother-in-law and I were chasing the salmonfly hatch on a local river. Failing to find the head, tail or the middle of the hatch we were returning home when drove by a stretch of river we had passed earlier. The water was very slow moving and fish were turning - big fish. We stopped and looked the water over. It appeared to be a side-channel of the main river.

After much discussion and my expressing concern that this would be pretty difficult water to fish, we rigged up and waded in. Most spots were very gooey with deep clinging mud that sucked on your boots and stunk like sulfur (1st clue). We fished a multitude of dry flies to actively feeding fish. It was unnerving because many of these fish fit the description I later gave them of 2 to the 3rd power - they were all brown trout that were jumping two-feet out of the water, two-feet from me, and they were two-feet long! No, this is not an exaggeration.

Finally, after hours of fishing various dries to feeding fish, my brother-in-law, Barron, finally had a take and a miss on a good old Renegade. I tied one on and caught my first fish of the day. We were hooked after that and I returned often to the spring.

It took several years, but we were finally able to 'crack-the-code' on this particular water. I also discovered that the water was actually a true spring creek and not a side-channel of the main river. I discovered that there were resident brown trout in a beaver pond on the upper end of the river that were over 30-inches. I found that many fish overwintered in the spring, in fact, I don't think they ever left, as we have pictures of catching some of the same fish year-after-year.

I was able to perfect my method of fishing any spring creek or slack water with suspended nymphs by using the Parasol Emerger fly as a slow-water indicator which resulted in my breaking into the outdoor writing world with my first article ever written about this subject.

Nevertheless, this water holds strong and powerful memories, as well as being the one place in this world where I can go and leave the world behind. I can focus on that very small parasol fly as it drifts slowly suspending a double nymph rig right at the level where the fish are holding. I'm concerned only with having the right flies, the right drift, and hoping one of the big ones is on a collision course with my offerings.

A little slice of heaven on earth...

I know that many of you have seen my pictures of this place, but I will share them here again in order to kick this off.

Kelly's 'No-Tellum' Spring Creek - somewhere in southeast Idaho:
Click the image to open in full size.

This is what the fish like to eat the most - amber scuds:

And this is what we catch:

And sometimes, a few of these...:

And, this is what we see sometimes when we are really lucky:

Share with us your "Home Waters"...

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Home Waters

I don't have "world renowned" waters, but I have had the opportunity to be quite literally in between both the New River and the Roanoke River in SW Virginia. Both of these waters do produce really good fish, but they are both primarily warm/fall waters. I remember when I was in high school and college, spending every day on one of the rivers all summer.

The home water that reminds me the most of home though is my friend's grandmother's farm pond. This is where I taught myself how to fly fish.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Go to the warmwater section and check out Adventures in a Storm Drain thread

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

To be honest my home waters, well they stink! Literally and figuratively but its a short 5min. drive and I can fish. I do find peace while I'm there, its where I go this time of year to chase unicorns and during the summer I can go and get my fill of small mouth. Its not over pressured or over crowded and it is pretty as long as the rains don't over-power Akron's out dated sewer lines, hence the stink. However what I truly consider my home water is the Raritan/Sandy Hook Bayshore from Atlantic Highlands on up to Union Beach in N.J.. Not an overly pretty strech of shoreline to most but to me is like the birth place of it all. It was there I taught myself to fly fish for stripers and bluefish. I was 17 or 18 and finally saved enough money to buy a second hand Orvis 9'6" HLS and a Lamsom reel for 9wt.
At that time there was only one other fly fisherman I knew of and that was our own Only Adipose. I know all the potholes and boulder gardens (pre-hurricane Sandy) from the base of what I refer to as Red Rocks to the flats behind the IFF property. I could grab my gear and handful of flies, walk a block or so from my front door and cut through the crow weeds to fish the mouth of Fisherman's Creek or hop on my beach cruiser and fish either the out flow or right in Natco Lake over the worm "hatch" for stripers. I have every slough and trough mapped out in my head and could tell you without a doubt where the fish would stage on a sand bar for a particular tide.
Then my cousin and I bought a boat and the game was really on. I could find weakfish when the charter guys couldn't all from time spent wading around in shorts and chuck tailors. I had that stretch figured out to the point where my cousin and I could go out and bang weakies, blues and bass all day make one stop and a catch dinner of fluke for the night. It got to the point where quite a few charter boats would ask where we got our limits and used my spot as a bail out.
At that age it was pretty cool to be the only boat in the marina with a limit of keeper fluke for two and half caught on the fly. My cousin and I were called Tom and Huck as we were always barefoot stinking of fish on some kind of adventure that usually paid off. I know of wrecks in the bay that most motor right past, chock full of seabass and black fish. So that is my home water and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss it. Now trout is the game and unfortunately the water I feel most at home on is some 300 miles to the south east but it gives me that same vibe. Just like my bayshore I miss it everyday and wish like hell I was fishing it right now!
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Go to the warmwater section and check out Adventures in a Storm Drain thread
Yes, your thread is what inspired me to do this one - thanks!

Kelly.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of water where I live.
Right here in town there's 22 lakes/reservoirs/millponds that are fishable. Three trout streams too. The closest is across the street, with some better trout fishing is close by.
Good saltwater fishing is about a hour drive

My "across the street brook"

Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My home waters are a long ways. It's the eastern Sierras approx. 4 hrs away. For that reason I plan trips to do my fishing. Favorite areas are Idaho; Wyoming.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Love that shot of the dunes and the back water bass with the down east lobster rigs in the back ground. Nice!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, let's talk about those waters that were important to you when you were younger as in home waters where you grew up. Take us for a trip down memory lane, then bring ir back to your own backyard.
Me and my dad on opening day, 1959. Out fishing while my mother waited in the car.
My sister was born later that very same day. Priorities !

My first fish on my own, a yellow perch
Lovewell Pond, Fryeburg ME

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

I am in Canada its our best kept secret