The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: DT or WF lines?

Most welcome! Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm a big DT fan but take a look at Wulff's long belly. Its technically a weight forward but it has a 30'+ head with a long back taper to facilitate long drifts and big mends. In close its all DT but out past the head you have all that back taper to control your dirft. My only gripe with it is the ivory color.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I think this line would excel for dry line steelhead fishing, I plan to try one this Summer on my seven...

Just for the heck of it I messed around with a long lead and soft hackles on my five, it was nice, very nice...

One thing you may think about, if you plan on carrying a lot of line outside the tip, under-lining the rod...

The BOSS Taper follows AFFTA standards regarding the first 30', but obviously with such a long head if you start talking 50'+ outside the rod tip and you are fishing a 5 wt BOSS on a 5wt rod, the line becomes more like a 6 wt or 7 wt line as an example.

5wt BOSS at 30' is 140 grains

6wt BOSS at 30' is 160 grains

Under normal fishing circumstances I would never really see under-lining being necessary, unless you were doing something which long casts were the norm like swinging flies on a dry line for steelhead can require, then I would likely under-line by one weight with this line. Maybe some long distance dead drifting of dries under-lining would be nice as well. Have yet to run into any circumstances that would fit that bill, not doing much dead drifting of dries in the Winter

You get the point. Hope that helps!
I just pick up 9 1/2 4 wt. Sage ZAxis was thinking putting a 5wt DT. Line on it. So what would you do with a Cortland boss a 4 or 5 ? Thanks for all responce's.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
I just pick up 9 1/2 4 wt. Sage ZAxis was thinking putting a 5wt DT. Line on it. So what would you do with a Cortland boss a 4 or 5 ? Thanks for all responce's.
With a DT you don't want to 'over line,' especially with a light rod as you've described above. Remember the 'line weight' is just the first 30 feet. As you pull out another 10 feet (just for numbers) you now have one line weight higher out the rod tip.

Using the 5wt numbers as an example, that's a touch short of 5 grains per foot (lets ignore the front tapered portion to keep this simple). Using my example of an extra 10 feet that's close to an additional 50 grains, or one third the weight of the first 30 feet. Or to put it another way, that '5' at 40' now ways far more than the 6 at 30 feet.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Sounds good to me ,I understand. Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sounds good to me ,I understand. Thanks
Sounds good to me. EvUn Of I just picked up a spooling eror in my pust abov. God I HATE THAT!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Definitely a 4WT BOSS...

Fred pretty much covered it for you