The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default DT or WF lines?

I haven't fish a DT line in a long time , my question will a DT line mend better or easier than a WF line ? Reason my asking I just bought a 9 1/2 ft 4 wt rod I will be using for indicator nymph .
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DT or WF lines?

In a word: "Yes." A DT will mend far better than a WF. The shorter the rod the more you see same. If line control is 'The name of the Game' a DT will really shine.

fae
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll second Freds words, I fish almost all DT on my single hand rods.

Love em,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The DT line will mend better only if you're working with more line out than the length of the typical WF head. 30-35 feet.
If you're fishing a shorter distance, then the mass of either line will be about the same and there's no real advantage to the DT.
It's only with long distance mends where the DT line shines
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

My suggestion is trying the Cortland Trout BOSS line, it's got a really long head so from a fishing perspective is much like a DT line, but it isn't completely DT so doesn't take up so much space on the reel. Not to mention it's taper is extremely well designed, basically the best of both Worlds when you consider the benefits of both WF and DT lines.

Been fishing it on my 5 wt a lot past few weeks with an indy/nymph rig and am really impressed, just got one for my 4 wt as well, but have yet to fish that one.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: DT or WF lines?

Thanks for the line tip kwb; off to Google.

Fred

Edit: I like that line! 100' with a 65' head, etc. Need a new 7wt line for my Sage XP. Think I've found 'My Boy.'

fae
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Thanks for the line tip kwb; off to Google.

Fred

Edit: I like that line! 100' with a 65' head, etc. Need a new 7wt line for my Sage XP. Think I've found 'My Boy.'

fae
I think this line would excel for dry line steelhead fishing, I plan to try one this Summer on my seven...

Just for the heck of it I messed around with a long lead and soft hackles on my five, it was nice, very nice...

One thing you may think about, if you plan on carrying a lot of line outside the tip, under-lining the rod...

The BOSS Taper follows AFFTA standards regarding the first 30', but obviously with such a long head if you start talking 50'+ outside the rod tip and you are fishing a 5 wt BOSS on a 5wt rod, the line becomes more like a 6 wt or 7 wt line as an example.

5wt BOSS at 30' is 140 grains

6wt BOSS at 30' is 160 grains

Under normal fishing circumstances I would never really see under-lining being necessary, unless you were doing something which long casts were the norm like swinging flies on a dry line for steelhead can require, then I would likely under-line by one weight with this line. Maybe some long distance dead drifting of dries under-lining would be nice as well. Have yet to run into any circumstances that would fit that bill, not doing much dead drifting of dries in the Winter

You get the point. Hope that helps!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Good call there, good call. Even with a single hander 95% my 'casts' are done 'spey style.' Tight quarters behind and rod doesn't know, or at least a Sage XP doesn't know/care.

Need to think that through and/or call Cortland later this AM and get their 'take.'

Fred

Edit a bit to elicit further comment.

Vast majority of my fishing is with 2handers, but there are places on the upper Rogue where even a 'switch rod' at 11' is 'over kill. Holding water is beach out to maybe 40 feet. Beyond that and the water is really chugging along. One of those is the center part of 'Denmon.' Another is the 'Hatchery Hole' (aka Zoo Hole, and you can guess why) down to Casey. As all that water is pretty much dam out flow the 'slots' where the fish will run are well defined and little changed in the 15+ years I've fished same. A 30' cast can be over kill, or to put that another way, you've cast right over any moving fish and you loose/pizz away 1/3 of your drift. High stick nymphing at its best?

Line thoughts?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM

If you are spey casting, I personally would not under-line...

If you feel like calling Cortland, I would ask for Artie
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
If you are spey casting, I personally would not under-line...

If you feel like calling Cortland, I would ask for Artie
Many thanks Kory; got your PM and a "Will Do" back.