The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite stream-side lunches/recipes

God Bless Subway Sandwich shops. Being a Seasoned Citizen the 'five dollar foot long' Sandwich costs four fifty (no sales tax here in Oregon). Black Forrest Ham and have them 'Drag it through the Garden.' Read that load it up with Veggies, etc.

Cut in half, and individually wrapped, and you've got two meals. Top that off with a flavored iced tea of some sort and 'good eats.'

Love the sound of a cold beer, but car keys and even 3.2 are a "don't go there." Older I get the less tolerant my system has become. Tired? A half bottle can give me a 'buzz.' But I do have a couple of bottles of a good IPA in the fridge. And they've been there for several months ....
rogue runner and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I can really relate to those Snickers commercials......."you're not you when you're hungry"
You're out all day and you start to drag.... eat a Snickers. Trail mix is good too but not as convenient.
When I was a kid, my grandfather taught me to always carry hard candy like Lifesavers or peppermints when fishing. It's gives you a little boost and wets your whistle. I still do that, but eating a Snickers bar will turn your day around.

Hardyreels, mcnerney and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Love the clip! Be sure to watch the Betty White (et. al.) one that comes up after the above.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Summertime...

Simple sandwiches are fine, or California rolls if I feel like something special...

Cold weather...

Deer Chili, Tenderloins grilled stream side or some good ole Beef Stew.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

fresh trout almondine with water cress, wild mushroom and leek salad..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
You forgot the champaign.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Sounds better than a bag of pork skins and a RC Cola.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

BLT sandwich (heavy on the B and T!) with the extra bacon I fried for breakfast. Any chocolate/peanut butter combination of candy bars (reeses, fast break, etc). Pasta salad from the night before in a ziploc with a fork. A small container of Sun Chips (Garden Salsa).
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I carry these two items in sealed plastic baggies...the peppered is my favorite:

Beef Jerky using the best beef jerky recipes – Mahogany Smoked Meats

Sierra Nevada Regular Chileno Peppers

then, back to fishing...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Love the idea of this thread. 5 stars in my book!

All depends on where I'm fishing and who I'm fishing with. When I don't plan on going back to my vehicle and am by myself. I take jerky and granola and or protein bars with me. Before I head out, I grab a quick bit to eat for breakfast. That can usually tide me over until dinner. This is my normal routine when fishing heavily pressured water. That way I can maximize time in case I find a spot of solitude and can get into fish. In fact, this is pretty standard to have with me no matter what. Never know when you might have a need for it.

Sometimes I pack myself a cooler when I know I'll be going back to my vehicle or Chi's for that matter. Sandwich it is, we often have pastrami, corned beef & swiss with stone ground mustard on rye. Or turkey or ham & swiss on wheat.

Italian hoagie before, capicola, proschuitto, salami, pepperoni, provolone, roasted red peppers, banana peppers lettuce and balsamic vinaigrette on italian bread of course. Make it the night before and wrap it tight in saran wrap, throw it in the fridge. Add to that some chips of some sort and I'm pretty good.

I've made some chili and packed that in the cooler along with a small propane camp stove. That hits the spot on a cool day.

For the most part, I try and keep it simple.
chi flyfisher likes this.