The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Favorite stream-side lunches/recipes

Nothing better than a great lunch on the stream.

What are some of your favorites??

I have been working on my backcountry cooking and would love to hear what others indulge in.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Favorite stream-side lunches/recipes

While some are artists at this I tend to keep it simple. I carry a big steel folding grill in the boat and a cooler. A quick fire and then the ground round hits the grill. I like to make either tuna mac or salmon mac as a pasta salad and it's simple; pasta, mayo, chopped onion, chopped celery, shredded carrots, salt & pepper to taste and add either solid white tuna or canned salmon. Toss it around and stow it in a big tupperware container.

When the burgers are looking good add a slab of cheese and toast the buns. Hit these with a huge slab of sweet onion - catsup and serve up the pasta salad. Add a bottle of Mirror Pond Pale Ale and a folding camp chair and it's time for lunch
fysh, mcnerney, fredaevans and 5 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Account on hold

splitcane1969 is on a distinguished road

Keep it simple...PBandJ on white bread.
Love it!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Pretty much all I ever eat streamside is homemade trail mix: peanuts, raisins & M&M's.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i grew up eating bean,cheese and green chile burritos on the stream.
you make a big batch at home wrap em in foil and bake them for 20 mins or so. then you can store them in the cooler or even freeze them.
before you leave for the day throw a couple in your backpack and when lunch time comes around make a little fire, throw the burrito on some coals and walla.....lunch. with an ice cold PBR of course

casey
fysh, dean_mt and yonder like this.

ARFE
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Usually jerky, freeze-dried fruit, and a beer.
Sometimes quesadillas and a beer.
Sometimes P&J and a beer.
Or a Snickers and a beer.
Or beer-battered onion rings and a beer.
On trips, tempura trout and beer-battered onion rings and a beer.
If I'm traveling light, just a beer.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

On the stream whatever fits in my pocket.
On the lake shore lunch fresh fish( preferably walleye) home fries on an open fire.
On the boat in the salt egg salad sandwiches and pretzels and some good beer!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
When the burgers are looking good add a slab of cheese and toast the buns. Hit these with a huge slab of sweet onion - catsup and serve up the pasta salad. Add a bottle of Mirror Pond Pale Ale and a folding camp chair and it's time for lunch
I've been there and had lunch with Ard, I'll bear witness that he's one helluva river chef!

We were so impressed with the tactic that we bought a grill when we got home, I can't wait to use it this Summer along with the "Alaskan Burger Flipper"!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Jokes aside, smuckers pb&j uncrustables. Take a few out of the freezer before you leave. They thaw up real nice by the time you get hungry and are oh so scrumptious. Plus they are individually wrapped in waterproof bags so they make a perfect stream side snack.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Nothing too fancy, open fire, a can of beans with homemade whole wheat bread, tea made in a juice can. Just the way dad taught me. Fond memories spent together.
yonder likes this.

Last edited by troutnut4; 02-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.