Nostalgia of Bamboo Rods

matt153265

Reaction score
Something of the history of fly fishing and the simplicity of the bamboo rod appeals to me,

What are some experiences have you had with these rods?

…as to sensitivity, what comparison can be made between bamboo and the modern rods of today?

Jackster

Reaction score
…as to sensitivity, what comparison can be made between bamboo and the modern rods of today?

The magic I hear of that bamboo has for many people hasn't touched me yet. Sure I would love to have a Summers Midge or one of the very modern bamboo rods I cast at an FFF Conclave in W. Yellowstone several years ago but practicality and a happy married life forbid splurging on toys such as those.
The art and craftmanship of some bamboo rods is something to behold and without question but as far as function, modern plastic rods are today what bamboo makers spent over 100 years trying to achieve and are still trying to achieve to this day IMHO.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I started on graphite and have of late found myself gravitating to bamboo. For me, it's a bit of the nostalgia and the action. I have yet to cast a quality bamboo rod, just no access to them around here. So I don't have tons to add more than the books I've been reading (Garrison & Carmichael).

I'll share a quote from John Gierach's book "Fishing Bamboo...graphite rods were designed to shoot line, while bamboo rods are designed to cast line."

As much as a beginner that I am, I get that difference. And look forward to getting a nice handmade (not machine milled) rod. South Creek LTD or maybe a Bill Oyster for fishing brookies.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 4 of them and I think that's all I'll need unless I get Bill (wt bash) to build me a 12' light Spey from cane. What I can tell you is that bamboo slows your whole experience down. With a small stream rod like my #3 line flea rod the casting is slow motion. The loops are easy and pin point accurate when you lay a little Bi-Visible into a tiny pocket in a mountain brook. I only have 3 of them here with me; one is left in Colorado at my sisters home for when I visit. It is an 8'6" #5 rod custom made by a man named Schoures in the 50's.

With the 8' #6 rod fishing a feather wing streamer is almost metaphysical naturalism at its peak for a fisherman.

My 1964 8'10" Light Salmon #8 rod is a powerful tool that leaves the gentle properties of the flea and the 6 weight behind. It will power heavy flies into a head wind and bring big strong fish to bear with authority.

This is the 8' #6 Ron White Custom with my Nine Three ready for some grayling.

The #8 Light Salmon with 30 pounds of silver salmon;

The rods lead to the reels, this is the Hardy Princess I bought for the 8' #6 in 1993.

Finally my little gem, the flea by Ron White also.

There is just something about the wood rods that brings them dear to you when you use them. They cast a spell as well as a fly line.

Ard

williamhj

Reaction score
I'd imagine some of the more experienced folks will comment (as I type, Ard posts!), but thought I'd offer my limited experience. The first time I cast one I was taken aback when I felt the rod flex down into the grip. I'm not sure if this is true of some of the modern tapers but I've come to like that slow feeling and have found I can lay out a fly rather nicely. Also landed some sizable fish with bamboo. Initially I was worried about the ferrules, but it played the fish wonderfully. It's definitely different than casting graphite.

p.s. if I was going to buy an rod from Bill Oyster, I put the money towards his week long class and build my own under his instruction. Wouldn't come out as beautiful as one he made, but wow! what an opportunity to learn :)

wt bash

Reaction score
With the 8' #6 rod fishing a feather wing streamer is almost metaphysical naturalism at its peak for a fisherman.
You won't find a better answer than that. Metaphysical naturalism, it truly is a very organic experience. People who, myself included, came up fishing graphite and even glass can be put off by the first cast. Even a faster taper will load deeply, there is so much mass behind the rod it has to flex that deep. The casting stroke is about as relaxed as you can get, you don't cast them you move them the right way and they cast for you. The hollow built rods are faster and have a more modern feel but thats not what I look for in a cane rod. Take a 15' mono leader and a dry fly, tie it on a modern graphite rod (no fly line out) and try to get it to turn over accurately chances are its not going to be to easy. Do the same with split cane and its like silk.

Oh its in the works Ard! By summer you'll have my first two hander based on the Black Beauty.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I got 3, but I need to be in the mood to use one. It's just not my style, I like my fiberglass. Maybe this season will be different.
A year old I bought a 1930s South Bend #25. It's a 7.5', 2/2 "Double Built" in excellent condition. They're kinda rare.
I got it out in front of me right now for a clean-up and a little varnish.
Maybe that will get me "in the mood" :D

pszy22

Reaction score
As with most things, a well designed and executed bamboo rod is a true joy to fish (at least to me), rods that weren't so well done aren't anything special when it comes to fishing.

wt bash

Reaction score
A year old I bought a 1930s South Bend #25. It's a 7.5', 2/2 "Double Built" in excellent condition. They're kinda rare.
Yeah it is! I think South Bends are the most under-rated rods from that time period. From 1925 to sometime in the late 30's Wes Jordan was the designer for South Bend and those rods are every bit as good as Jordan's Orivs models.

tennessee dave

Reaction score
I own and do fish with graphite BUT there is nothing quite like fishing with cane. Fly fishing in and of itself is a rather ethereal experience for me and adding the beauty and feel of a well made bamboo rod just heightens the experience. It's all about the experience. I like all types of whiskies but there is something very special indeed that comes with an old bourbon of many years or that special bottling of a rare single malt that just isn't there with Jack Daniels or Dewar's. As with fishing rods both do the job...you are drinking whiskey. Again it's all about the experience.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I am picking up my first bamboo rod next month. I am buying it off of a rod builder in Oregon who makes only 10-12 rods a year. I will admit that my first time casting it was a real lesson on slowing down. It took a bit of practice on the lawn, but once dialed in, I felt more connected to that rod than I do to rods I have fished for years. I am very much looking forward to landing my first fish on it this season. Hopefully I will have some good pictures of rod and fish as the season progresses.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I fish with people who fish bamboo and so I do. I like the slower, calmer, more relaxed rhythm-like fishing that bamboo does for me. It's like I plan my attack and then make gentle worthwhile casts. I have four bamboo fly rods.

matt153265

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent feedback gentlemen!

Yes, Bamboo rods and cool waters!

With crisp morning air.

How challenging is building a custom one? For a novice builder that is…

williamhj

Reaction score
How challenging is building a custom one? For a novice builder that is…
From a blank or from a culm? I've done the former, not the latter and am thinking it is far easier but still has some nice challenges and feels great once done.

wjc

Reaction score
Jackster said:
The magic I hear of that bamboo has for many people hasn't touched me yet.
You just haven't touched the right rod yet, Jackster - and it doesn't have to have a big name on the reel seat either - or cost much if you get lucky. If I ever wind up traveling north, I'll bring it with, and you can give it a try - or if you ever get down here.

By far my favorite is a no-name Abercrombie and Fitch 7' 4 wt. I like it better than the Payne, Leonards, Granger and FE Thomas. If you are like most guys used to feather weight graphite, most bamboo rods feel tip heavy when wiggling without a reel or line on them.

This one doesn't - perfect dry fly rod. Fast action and remarkable recovery time. Maybe Bill, as a maker, can tell me why, but I personally think that the damping of bamboo is much faster and more complete than high modulus rods like Sage TCX, TCR's etc. They are way, way easier on the elbow than the above graphite - especially if underlining them, as is my tendency. You don't get that vibration all the way up your arm after the rebound. It's like the difference between running a Jonsereds chain saw as compared to a Homelite.

It takes me no time at all to convert back to bamboo when I haven't cast one in several years - as I recently discovered. But that's all I fished with for a lot of years, and it was like a reawakening when I strung that particular one up a month ago or something. I'd forgotten just how wonderful it is to cast a light bamboo rod and line in a light breeze.

You'd be smitten by this rod Jackster, guaranteed. I wish I knew the name of the maker.

ditz

Reaction score
I would like to spend a few hours with a light line boo. I have never been willing to spend the money that a good boo goes for. I was just in a fly shop a couple of days ago and I picked up a sweet looking boo. I quickly and carefully put it back into the rod rack. $1995......I doubt that my truck is worth that. That, my friend, is not a working man's tool.

williamhj

Reaction score
That, my friend, is not a working man's tool.
It depends on the working man's priorities and other commitments. Not many could do it on an impulse purchase but saving up for some years, it can be doable for many. Personally, a $2000 rod isn't something I plan on purchasing whether or not I can afford it, as I have many other things I'd rather put that money towards. In fact, if I was going to spend that cash I'd take Oyster's rod building class for a week. However, you don't have to spend that for bamboo.

I finished 2 from imported blanks, the second with nice ferrules and agate guide from Golden Witch and snakes from Snake Brand Guides and all told probably came in under $400 for all my materials. Love fishing them both. I know there is a builder in the US that would sell you a blank ferruled for less than $300, if you only want 1 tip and unferruled then less than $200. Even giving yourself $300 to spend on components (nice rod!) you're coming in below $500 or $600. His rods start below $700 completed.

I think there is also a used market out there, though you'd want to research the rods to know what you're getting.

wt bash

Reaction score
WJC, its cane's inherent mass. It creates and absorbs energy better than graphite as there is more material there. Imagine an empty paper towel roll as a graphite rod, drop it on the floor it bounces, shakes, rattles, and rolls a bit and all that, now take a full roll of paper towel (cane fly rod) and do the same. Plop, it hits its done. Casting cane rods is like slow dancing with a lady, if you dance well, it pushes all the right buttons and she rewards you with a sweet good night kiss!

Ditz don't go through a shop to get a cane rod go to the maker. Fly shops will throw a large mark up on there cause its probably in the shop on consignment. They gotta make theirs as much as the maker. Go for a single tip rod to keep the cost down. The reason for the high price tags is the work involved. Not to say that rolling a graphite or glass blank isn't work but I don't think it compares to what is done during the process of making split cane rods. Makers put their heart and soul into it, it might sound corny but you have to if its something you want to keep doing. There is countless time spent selecting the proper culm, splitting, staggering, roughing, heat treating, and planning. Measurements are taken constantly, fingers get sliced open by sharper than razor strips, hours spent waiting on varnish to dry. Then finally the maker gets to dress her up. When you spend that amount of time and put all that effort into it, it feels criminal to let one go at a bargain bin price. Its hard enough to let one go as it is! Plus that rod, if fished and properly taken care of will be around for a long long time and could end up heirloom material.

Matt its pretty challenging. In truth though if its something you're really into the work itself is no biggie but the cost and sourcing of tools is a major hurdle. Forms can go as much as 1200 block planes and Hock blades add up, bevelers are exspensive if you decide to use one, heat treating ovens add up, a proper binder can set you back a good amount too. Not to leave out the cost of reel seats guides, silks and finish. Its a hell of an investment up front, with not a whole lot of return, the profit lies in knowing you created something from scratch that with hope someone will enjoy the experience as much as you have.

matt153265

Reaction score
Just curious…

What is the length of the #3 flea?

Also, are you happy with that or would you now choose a different length in a #3 or #4?