The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you won a $2000.00 shopping card at Cabela's

I don't fish for bass or salmon so I'm not sure how much rod is needed but I reckon a good 7 wt could cover both(?) or if the salmon experts tell you to get something bigger like a 9wt I would still look for one reel with a spare spool that could handle both sized lines. You should have a Grand or so left over ... which you could spend on lots of hooks and feathers and shiny dangly things.

Last edited by dean_mt; 02-21-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Flush on rod and reel outfits. Probably get a nice re-loading kit and some re-loading supplies, unless of course, the hoarders ate them all up. In that case I would buy a nice toon;nfo or something like that.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
what fly rod/reel /line would you buy and rod weight to fish/bass/trout and Salmon.

I thought the purpose to his question was specifically "what rod and reel would you get", not "what would you get if you had $2k"!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
I thought the purpose to his question was specifically "what rod and reel would you get", not "what would you get if you had $2k"!
Yes. While it is fun to fantasize, it is also a little rude to hijack the thread.
Carry on.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

I would give it to "Lets Tackle Cancer""Casting For Recovery".

Then I know its been well spent
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

sage bass II fly rod 550

tibor signature reel 850

rio line 80

all in 8wt
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I couldn't help myself, I went to the web site and looked around. For rod & reel they didn't have a rod I would want but they have a Tibor Signature 11/12 reel in black for $865.00. I couldn't find a Spey rod for the reel so............ I might buy a bunch of waders so I would have a life time supply.

Or................... I would buy an 8 horse power Mercury outboard ($1999.99) to use as a kicker on the boat so I could go fish the Kenai. My 90 HP is not legal there
jsquires likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I would get two outfits, a single-hand 8 wt and a spey 8/9:

Loomis NRX 9' 8wt ($835)

Lamson Litespeed 3.5x (2 @ $379 ea)

Temple Fork Deer Creek 15' 8/9wt spey ($370)

Rio Steelhead/Salmon fly line WF8F ($75)

Airflo Delta Spey fly line WF8/9F ($90)

Which is about $128 over your $2000 card value, but if you're buying two rod and reel outfits they might throw in the lines and backing for free. Or to keep it under $2000 I might swap out the Loomis NRX for the cheaper St. Croix Legend Elite ($460).

If I wanted a trout outfit rather than a spey outfit, it would probably be the TFO BVK 9' 5wt combo outfit that they sell with either a Cabela's or BVK reel. If I wanted to spend the big bucks on the trout outfit rather than the 8 weight, I would get the BVK or the Legend Elite in the 8 weight and a more expensive trout rod instead. They have several high-end brands (Winston, Sage, Loomis, St. Croix) in trout sizes and I would have trouble choosing my own favorite. I wouldn't presume to tell you what your favorite should be.

If I wanted all three outfits, I would get the Deer Creek/Litespeed/Airflo spey setup ($839 plus backing) and two 9' BVK rod/BVK reel outfits in 5 and 8 weights ($605 combined). That would leave me lots cushion for other stuff, or for a higher-end 5wt or 8wt, like a Legend Elite or a Winston GVX.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-22-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

I'd buy a decent cabelas brand rod and the echo ion reel for under 200$ and spend the $1800 on beef jerky

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I would get two outfits, a single-hand 8 wt and a spey 8/9:

Loomis NRX 9' 8wt ($835)

Lamson Litespeed 3.5x (2 @ $379 ea)

Temple Fork Deer Creek 15' 8/9wt spey ($370)

Rio Steelhead/Salmon fly line WF8F ($75)

Airflo Delta Spey fly line WF8/9F ($90)

Which is about $128 over your $2000 card value, but if you're buying two rod and reel outfits they might throw in the lines and backing for free. Or to keep it under $2000 I might swap out the Loomis NRX for the cheaper St. Croix Legend Elite ($460).

If I wanted a trout outfit rather than a spey outfit, it would probably be the TFO BVK 9' 5wt combo outfit that they sell with either a Cabela's or BVK reel. If I wanted to spend the big bucks on the trout outfit rather than the 8 weight, I would get the BVK or the Legend Elite in the 8 weight and a more expensive trout rod instead. They have several high-end brands (Winston, Sage, Loomis, St. Croix) in trout sizes and I would have trouble choosing my own favorite. I wouldn't presume to tell you what your favorite should be.

If I wanted all three outfits, I would get the Deer Creek/Litespeed/Airflo spey setup ($839 plus backing) and two 9' BVK rod/BVK reel outfits in 5 and 8 weights ($605 combined). That would leave me lots cushion for other stuff, or for a higher-end 5wt or 8wt, like a Legend Elite or a Winston GVX.
Or you could probably save $250 by going with one Lamson reel and a spare spool. Why have two identical reels that you will never use at the same time? Spare spools are great way to go, in my opinion.