The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wet Streamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I had the same problem until I got a bunch of extra ear piercings. Now I just wear all my flies until they dry out. I wish I could stop forgetting to de-barb them though.....
Now that's just plain funny!!!

Respects,

Richard
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I debarb all my flies at the bench and they kept falling off my drying patch. I found a 3/4" X 1 1/2"X 2" plastic box. I cut holes in the bottom to pass a big safety pin thru then glued a piece of magnet to the bottom. Then I drilled holes thru the box top and sides. It's pinned to the front of my vest.
Now, when I change flys, I put the wet fly in the box, close the lid, then clip the tippet.
And, yes, mea culpa, I generally forget to empty the box til the next trip.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

I found a small Orvis fly wallet that someone gave me a long time ago, with wool in it for sticking flies. It made a perfect "wet streamer receptacle" yesterday.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I agree with Eddie O'neill-- they go onto my patch and usually get tied to my tippet on the next outing.

Also, in case there was any doubting D Dan's fishiness; the man actually has a factory fly patch installed to the dash as optional equipment on his vehicles. :bow-down:
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I am a warmwater fisherman so I don't usually fish dries. I carry a tackle bag instead of wearing a vest. Too hot for a vest most of the summer. When I change flies I just drop the wet fly into the tackle bag so it can dry and it allows me to reach down into the bag for a fly box and get some fly hooks stuck in my fingers. It just reminds me that I am fishing.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
I am a warmwater fisherman so I don't usually fish dries. I carry a tackle bag instead of wearing a vest. Too hot for a vest most of the summer. When I change flies I just drop the wet fly into the tackle bag so it can dry and it allows me to reach down into the bag for a fly box and get some fly hooks stuck in my fingers. It just reminds me that I am fishing.
Well you know the old saying: "If you ain't reaching down into your tackle bag to find a fly box and getting hooks stuck in your fingers in the process, then you ain't fishing."