The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   TFO Lefty Kreh Professional or Redington Classic Trout? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/311509-tfo-lefty-kreh-professional-redington-classic-trout.html)

bluegillonthefely 02-21-2013 02:25 PM

TFO Lefty Kreh Professional or Redington Classic Trout?

So, I'm more or less a novice caster. I've been fly fishing for a bit and have caught some fish, but I've never done it often enough and consistently enough to get any good at casting. This year I have resolved to change that and become a proficient flycaster. It's too much fun to continue to be bad at it.

Long story short, a while back I replaced my first fly rod (some no-name thing whose reel seat I had to reattach with superglue, etc.) with a Sage Flight 590-4 pretty much because a friend of mine had one and liked it and LL Bean had an astonishingly good price on the combos at the time. No, I'd never actually cast one before buying it. Yes, dumb :-)

Now, the Sage is a fine fly rod and there's nothing wrong with it, but as I have learned more I had begun to come to the conclusion that it's just too fast for me, at least at my present level of proficiency. Last weekend a member of our local club let me try his TFO Lefty Kreh Professional, and I loved it. The slower action (TFO calls it med. fast) felt alive in my hand, and it was much lighter, too. When I went back to my Sage, it confirmed my suspicions about it not being right for me, at least not now.

Which brings me to my question: I want to replace the Sage (either store it until I'm good enough to use it, or maybe just sell it) and get either a TFO Kreh Professional, or a Redington Classic Trout. The CT sounds similar on paper but probably even a slower action. I don't know anyone locally who has one I could try, unfortunately. So, without being me or knowing me, but based on my story, would you recommend the TFO or the Redington? If you own both or have casted both, you're my hero today :-)

Oh, and this is probably relevant, my primary fishing is for sunfish and crappie in stillwater, and I usually fly fish either from my float tube or a small boat.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

wabi 02-21-2013 03:19 PM

Re: TFO Lefty Kreh Professional or Redington Classic Trout?

The CT is a much slower action.
I found it to be more like glass or cane in flex/action when I tried it.

I use a TFO Pro and like it much better.

bluegillonthefely 02-21-2013 04:37 PM

Thanks, Mike! I think I'll go ahead with the TFO, then.

chased 02-21-2013 04:48 PM

Its been awhile since I have cast a Vantage or that particular TFO, but if I remember right, the TFO was even faster than the vantage. If you want a slower rod I would go with the CT. In my personal opinion, the CT is one of the best rods on the market under $200. Take this for that it's worth...what I may like, you may not.

-Chase

bluegillonthefely 02-21-2013 04:55 PM

Thanks for your input, Chase. I decided to go with the TFO in a 5-weight to take the place of my Sage because I tried one and know I like it but the CT - a fine rod, no doubt - is a question mark because I don't have local access to one to try. I plan to get a 2 or 3-weight later this year just to make the bluegill more fun. Maybe that one will be a CT, if I can get to cast one between now and then. Even if I like the CT better than the TFO, I won't hate myself for having a TFO.

Thanks again!

fly_guy12955 02-21-2013 05:00 PM

Fished last two days with my new CT , 8 1/2 , 3wt. It is a great rod and I love it.

You coined the best phrase for slow and medium actions rods I've heard yet,,they feel ALIVE ! That has been just the word I've been looking for to describe why I do not really like fast actions rods,,they do not have that 'alive' feeling. It's like you are standing outside the picture casting in,,,with a rod like the CT,,you are IN that picture and feeling every bump.

My TFO , BVK is a fine rod, well made, cast a mile. But it's something a bass tourney converted to fly fisherman might like. I guess it has it's place, but I know already I'll use it less than any rod I own. I do not know much about the feel of the slower TFO's,,,just my one BVK. But you can NOT go wrong with a CT. Have two, love'em both.

Good luck,,and never feel that you HAVE to grow out of relaxed actions rods. Lot's of great fly fishermen prefer them and always will.

Michael

noreaster 02-21-2013 05:37 PM

Whatever you decide to do, you may want to think about holding onto the Sage. I was in possession of my Sage for many years in storage, and feel as if I grew into it. For many years it was a much better rod than I was a fisherman.:)

bluegillonthefely 02-21-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 529482)
You coined the best phrase for slow and medium actions rods I've heard yet,,they feel ALIVE ! That has been just the word I've been looking for to describe why I do not really like fast actions rods,,they do not have that 'alive' feeling. It's like you are standing outside the picture casting in,,,with a rod like the CT,,you are IN that picture and feeling every bump.

Glad to help with just the right word. I'm a software engineer of sorts and at one time considered being a technical writer instead, and it feels great to use a word that really nails it for somebody :)

In my first draft, I'd said that when I went back to my Sage it felt like picking up a pool cue with a flyline on it, then edited it out of politeness to Sage and those who fish them. I don't mean to offend anyone, and Sage certainly makes fine rods and it picks the line up off the water like nobody's business, but it's just way too stiff for me. I may eventually grow into it, but OTOH I don't need to be casting the whole line at bonefish (we've got them here in the bay, but I'm not really a saltwater guy).

Glad to hear how much you like your 3-weight CT. When I get my 2 or 3-weight later this year I'll probably make it a CT so I can experience both worlds for myself.

Jonathan

yonder 02-22-2013 08:31 AM

I am also a fan of the red CT...and the TFO finesse series...I like the medium action feel. I have a BVK, and a TFO pro, but I really do not care for the faster actions. Nothing wrong with them, it's just not my thing. So last year I overlined both rods and now they are coming "alive." They are now back in my current rotation. I fish smaller streams that are usually protected somewhat from the wind with rarely any fly larger than a size 14. You mileage may vary. Just my humble opinion, based on personal observation. :)

After a quick check....I overline all of my TFO's.....but I do not overline the Red CT's.......

pabrown_yb245 02-22-2013 08:57 AM

Bluegill I'm in the same situation here in south central pa, I just bought a Redington red fly 2 about 2 weeks ago, I'm praticing every couple of days of roll casting in my yard the rod is 9' 5w, my problem is fly line coils up on my foward cast, it looks horrible, I've tried all kinds of speeds and nothing works, my next step is to work with the fly line, I'm going to yellow breeches outfitters on sunday and hopefully work with some new fly lines, my sense is work with the rod and make the line do the work, any rod you buy needs a (mate) line to it, if you watch roll cast videos on you tube you have to think these guys just didn't pick a rod up and the hole rod and reel combo was right, adjustments are needed, there's thousands of rods out there & they're all going to vary. Hope this helps.