The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default new umpqua bags

https://umpqua.com/packs-and-bags/

Front Range anglers got them in yesterday so I stopped by today to check them out and ended up picking up the overlook 500 in green. Man the build quality is amazing and the bag is laid out really well. I cant wait to get my stuff in it and get out on the river to try it out. I highly recommend checking them out when the start shipping them out to more retailers.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: new umpqua bags

I saw FRA advertising them on their newsletter and website. As you use it keep us informed. I've got a Simms headwater hip pack I got at FRA and it is pretty good but would be interested in hearing about other options.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I passed by them for a moment at Cabela's, the Ledges 650 may have to replace my Patagonia Stealth waist pack... It's so crammed right now, I could use a little extra space, especially when I switch to carrying bass bugs in huge boxes.

I've been so happy with this pack... Until now
Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I just got a Umpqua 500 bag .when I got home I begin loading the bag up with all my normal gear. What I found out was thaT it didn't hold as much gear as I wanted.so I removed all my gear and look at the bag more carefully. The problem is the frame.the frame gives of support which I like about the bag.but was more bent to much toward the storage area of the pack.limiting the amount of gear you can carry. In the back of the bag is zipper that goes no where took me a while to understand what this was for.only thing I could understand this is how you can you can remove the frame .by taking the frame out thru this zipper.so I removed the frame thru the zipper when I removed the frame it allowed more storage area. But lost the support which I liked. So I reshaped the frame so it does not have as much torque to the bag. When I did this the frame became more elongated so I had to compress the length so it would fit back in the bag.after putting the frame back in the bag it retained the support and also increased the gear area. Much better fit for what gear I wanted to carry. I hope this helps others who buys this pack.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Would the larger 650 pack avoid that problem? Or is it so much bigger that it isn't really practical as a fanny pack?

(I noticed on the Umpqua page that a lot of the links to the details of the individual models are dead.)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Would the larger 650 pack avoid that problem? Or is it so much bigger that it isn't really practical as a fanny pack?

(I noticed on the Umpqua page that a lot of the links to the details of the individual models are dead.)
The 650 pack is to large for me the design is much the same the 650 has 1 more zipper compartment than the 500 allowing more storage . But the frame configuration also limits the amount storage of the 650 . To get the most storage possible the frame needs to be re configured. This can be done by hand .the frame is very rigged with plastic coating over a metal frame.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info, Bill. I was thinking of getting the 650 anyways, as there wouldn't be much difference in my Patagonia stealth and the 500 (roughly 73 cu in), but with the mods you described now I feel like I could probably fit all of my gear and maybe my ultralight rain jacket or lunch in the 650 as well.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 AM

Sooooo... I had a credit to BPS and they carry these. No-brainier, ordered it. Before taking the tags off, I load all of my gear in it to make sure hat I like it as much as I think I do. Strap it on, great. Then I go to put my water bottles in the side pockets ( my patagonia stealth hip pack will very securely hold two nalgenes) and they are pretty much useless. I would not fully trust a twelve ounce can of beer to stay in there safely. Such a disappointment on what I considered to be one of the best new products out there.

Deal-breaker. To me, having plenty of water to sustain yourself is an essential up there with sung screen, hat, and shades. I really hope that they'll fix this, because the pack is almost every thing I want it to be.

If you think something's too good to be true, it probably is. Now I guess I can find something e.se to blow my credit on, that's the good news!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Looks like the 500 chest pack could be a winner. The shoulder straps with mesh back to hold the pack to your chest without wear on the neck. I have a Simms chest pack and it's the most uncomfortable thing to wear. Not that much weight in the pack but as the hours of the day pass, the more and more and more you are aware of the pack pulling on your neck. The Simms chest pack also sticks so far out that you have trouble seeing where you are placing your feet.

If you want a chest pack I would give this model 500 a look. Stay away from the Simms.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I think the orvis sling packs are far better than the umpqua bags. I have the Sling Guide Pack (for which I've posted a LENGTHY review on this site) and the Gale Force Sling. Both of these bags are exceptionally well made and hold tons of gear. I think the Guide Sling Pack is the best back out there right now if you carry a lot of gear with you.