The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Good magnifying lamp recommendation???

I'm looking for another magnifying lamp. When i started having problems with my eyes while tying fly's, I sold all my tying gear.

Now, I could really use my old lamp again, just to tie my own leaders. I'm not all that fond of the packaged tapered leaders, so want to get back to doing my own (just need a good magnifying lamp to see the 6x - 7x stuff).

Any recommendations will certainly be appreciated!!!!

Respects,

Richard
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Good magnifying lamp recommendation???

I'm 40 and use 2.5x magnifiers on the water when tying on size 14 and smaller flies. I use a mckenzie light+magnifier vice lamp to tie.

It does well for me...I don't even have to use my reading glasses when I use the magnifier on the lamp.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Spouse bought me a giraffe setup a few years ago. I am thrilled with it, and besides fly tying I use it to build leaders, work on reels, etc. Right now my tying stuff is in the other room because I am using it for the wraps on a new rod build. My guess is that they are pricey, but I would drop the $$ if this one broke. I do not know what I would do without it!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'm interested as well; maybe you guys could post pics if you get a chance, thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Check out the fabric and sewing stores near you for a light/magnifier. There are some pretty reasonable priced ones available. If there isn't a store near you, check out Amazon.
Amazon.com: lights/magnifiers Amazon.com: lights/magnifiers
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Here is a website that might have something that might be helpful. Magnifier.com - Hands Free Magnifiers

Be careful of inexpensive plastic lens, the ones I have used are not good. Map stores usually have magnifiers, you can also ask your eye Dr. for advise.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I'm 40 and use 2.5x magnifiers on the water when tying on size 14 and smaller flies. I use a mckenzie light+magnifier vice lamp to tie.

It does well for me...I don't even have to use my reading glasses when I use the magnifier on the lamp.
I like the McKenzie for fly tying too. It has a gooseneck halogen lamp and a separate gooseneck with a pair of magnifying lenses. You can position them both exactly the way you want.

However, if you're only tying a few leaders, consider a cheap pair of reading glasses from the drugstore instead. Sit under any old desk or table lamp and they'll do the job just fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I like the McKenzie for fly tying too. It has a gooseneck halogen lamp and a separate gooseneck with a pair of magnifying lenses. You can position them both exactly the way you want.

However, if you're only tying a few leaders, consider a cheap pair of reading glasses from the drugstore instead. Sit under any old desk or table lamp and they'll do the job just fine.
At 70, reading glasses arn't even close to being adequate for my needs, hence my asking for recommended magnifying lights.

Below is a photo of the lamp I had, and sold sometime ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

This was photo taken from another forum.

If at all possibile, I would like to find something like this again. Certainly wish I hadn't sold it, as it was a dandy (also wish I remembered the brand name, but seeing as I bought it about 35 years ago, I don't have a clue!).

Respects,

Richard
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got the same light, its a Luxo, just google luxo Magnifiers. They can get expensive though.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

LUMAPRO Round Magnifier Light, 2.25, Fluor, Black - Magnifier Lights - 6MNU1|6MNU1 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Hopes this helps.