The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy featherweight question

Looking to upgrade my flystart on my 3wt Redington. Ive considered the Hardy featherweight but just not sure if I will like the click check. I appreciate the input.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hardy featherweight question

If you have never had a click pawl reel, you are in for a treat! The purr the Hardy makes will grow on you. The featherweight has an adjustable drag mechanism, although it is hardly noticeable. The drag on these reels is more to prevent line backlash than anything. If you need to apply drag on these reels, you palm or finger the spool (odd as it sounds). It is great fun with a hot fish, everyone will hear your reel screaming if you are into that kind of thing. If you like quiet reels, this is NOT for you.

-Chase
jaybo41, wannafish and leithel like this.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Fair warning, Hardy clickers are ADDICTIVE. Your bank account may never be the same again. Having said that...go for it!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Highly recommended by me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Fred
Hardyreels, jaybo41 and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Fair warning, Hardy clickers are ADDICTIVE. Your bank account may never be the same again. Having said that...go for it!
That's just great, all I need is another addiction. I'll try with one and hope that it doesn't get too bad, at least untill I find a cure.
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Ha! Good Luck!

Fred
jaybo41 and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Fun to fish? You bet!

Addictive? Absolutely!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

looks like this has evolved into a hardy reel picture thread
leithel likes this.

ARFE
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Unless you are going after big game a Featherweight or any of the Lightweight Series reels from Hardy will serve beautifully. I have a Featherweight that after I got it in 78 was my favorite and the only good reel I owned for years. I used it for everything from Brook trout to Atlantic salmon and landlocked salmon also. In fall of 2011 I think I landed the largest fish with it yet. While trout fishing in September I hooked and smartly landed a silver / Coho, salmon that I'll guess was about 14 pounds or so. I frequently catch salmon while trout fishing in fall but this was a big one.

I'm going to paste a picture of the fish to make the point that a Featherweight will fish beautifully. I do not try to catch spawning salmon! This fish was in a deep run and I did not know it was there until I felt it on the fly. They become very aggressive when they look like this and he was a big fish. The rod is my 7'9" 5 weight Orvis Far & Fine.

I had to slide him unto the sandbar for a few seconds to take this.

He swam away fine and I saw him working the run for the remainder of the fall until they all had died. I had never taken a picture of a red salmon before but this one was in prime spawning shape and obviously ruled the run.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

jaybo41, a beautiful sight and a nice collection. I notice the pic of the Mk 2. I have that reel in NM condition as well. My first fly reel. Fished it twice, caught nothing and had a wonderful time. Wouldn't part with it for the world. Fond memories. First time that my Dad and I fished for Salmon.
Hardyreels likes this.