The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Whose pets love their feathers and fur?

We have two standard poodles (hypo, I'm allergic to shedders) Mr. Marley and Tommy, who love feathers and fur. They are constantly reminding me to pick up after myself. They have even attacked little caches of flies; really hoping they never swallowed one.

Anyone else have pets who target their supplies? I have lost some nice grizzly cape, and junglecock, and deer hair, to name a few.

Here are the culprits after a romp in the snow.
And yes I use both of their hairs as dubbin'
Cheers phil

Click the image to open in full size.

jaybo41 and leithel like this.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whose pets love their feathers and fur?

Remember a Man is a Dogs best friend with a little training.
shotgunfly and noreaster like this.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

got a lab pup who lets me drop stuff on him while he lays under my bench. he picks up feather scraps to eat now and then. won't touch anything else..
noreaster likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Lets see with 5 in the house so far I've lost a JC cape, a Claret dyed streamer cape, midge capes, deer hair patch, tons of sheep's fleece, arctic fox, squirrel tails, and I know I'm missing something. Oh yeah a few spools of thread.
noreaster likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Lets see with 5 in the house so far I've lost a JC cape, a Claret dyed streamer cape, midge capes, deer hair patch, tons of sheep's fleece, arctic fox, squirrel tails, and I know I'm missing something. Oh yeah a few spools of thread.
Now that's what I'm talkin' abouut.!!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

My dog is always interested in fur & hairs, likes to sniff at packages when they arrive too, but hasn't damaged anything. She's a good dog!

I have a sister in law who lives with us. She has a cat. He's still a kitten, but likes to roam around my basement, which is where my tying room is located.

He likes to carry things up stairs. Yesterday, my sister in law brought me a spool of thread that he had snitched. Again, so far nothing damaged, but I'm keeping a close eye on the little bugger!
jaybo41 and noreaster like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

This handsome devil had fun with one of my soft hackle partridge clump/cape. Luckily it was only $10.00 and he was fine
This pic was taken while I was tying, he was saying hi dad , what ya doing ?

bigjim5589, mrfzx, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

No doubt. This handsome devil (and I stress devil) loves the smell of dried bucktails and will (somehow) sneak his paw into the bin and drag one out.

Fortunately he knows the "drop it" command and "git".

Which brings me to a thought. I was thinking of picking up a rabbit fur from the sale bin (probably neon green) and bring it home for him. Has anyone ever done this for their dog? Is this a bad idea?
jaybo41, leithel and noreaster like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

My dog has a bunch of chew toys. We're careful about what we get for her. Most are made from natural materials such as raw hide, a few are a very tough plastic material. I worry about what she might ingest.

IMO, if you give the dog a real hide, and promote the chewing, they may not know the difference with any other similar material, so that could create problems with your other tying materials should the dog get the opportunity.

I also wouldn't give a tanned hide to my dog because of the chemicals used in tanning. May not ever be a problem, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.
shotgunfly and noreaster like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 02-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Kitty likes to steal tools off my desk as well as syenthic materials, mainly rubber legs. As far as feathers and fur, I have 2 german shorthair pointers.....how do YOU think thats working out for me????! haha
noreaster likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher