The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default Sinking line extensions?

I heard about 5 to 10 foot sinking extensions that can loop on to the end of a regular floating line, before the leader. Word is they are cheap too. Anyone have experience with these, and/or know of good ones?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sinking line extensions?

I have used them in the past. They do the job but you give up a lot in feel and control Vs a traditional sink tip. I thought they fished ok till I purchased a true sink tip in 15' and 24' and now I think the add ons suck now that I know how they are suppose to feel and perform.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I use one for my 6wt that I use for throwing streamers to trout in rivers. I like it because it makes me a lot more versatile while saving me $50. I havent used a true sink tip line so unfortunately I dont know how they compare. The fact that I can switch between the sinking leader and a regular one makes it worth it.

- Tyler

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: Sinking line extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
I have used them in the past. They do the job but you give up a lot in feel and control Vs a traditional sink tip. I thought they fished ok till I purchased a true sink tip in 15' and 24' and now I think the add ons suck now that I know how they are suppose to feel and perform.
Are these sink tip lines a full 90' or so line, or are they made to be attached to something else? Sorry, noob here
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

they are full 90' lines,
I use both and also make my own from 2' - 25' out of leadcore line.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of them... all different lengths.....that I made from Cortland LC-13
The 6" one is actually one of the most handy and I use it looped between the leader and the tippet instead of splitshot.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Interesting. Does that pull your floating line down under at all?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Interesting. Does that pull your floating line down under at all?
it's not a lot different than using any other kind of weight

http://books.google.com/books?id=bWQ...ishing&f=false