The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Oklahoma-OntheFlyGal-New to Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/311734-oklahoma-ontheflygal-new-fly-fishing.html)

careyrn 02-23-2013 08:37 PM

Oklahoma-OntheFlyGal-New to Fly Fishing

I am only about 10 months into Fly Fishing.....and absolutely LOVE it!! But have so many things to learn. Sometimes I overwhelm myself! I have a trip planned to NorFork Spring Break and a trip to Pagosa Spring, Colorado end of May first of June. I have so many questions about what flies to use while in Colorado!!! I research and read, but still so confused. Anyone willing to give advice!

Guest1 02-23-2013 08:45 PM

Re: Oklahoma-OntheFlyGal-New to Fly Fishing

Welcome to the forum. It's a wonderful source of information. We also have a few other gals that belong to the forum. Can't wait to see what you post. :welcomean

Almost forgot to ask, where in Colorado (My home state) and what are you fishing for?

careyrn 02-23-2013 09:02 PM

I am also very new to "forum".....I really have no idea what I am doing but hoping it will be a good way to meet other men and women who are willing to give me tips. I love fly fishing!!! This is the most relaxing and rewarding thing I have ever done. I have twin girls who will be graduating in May and I chose this hobby (something I have always wanted to do) to help me prepare for the "empty nest". LOL!!

Guest1 02-23-2013 09:17 PM

Most people here are more than willing to share tips and information. That's what makes it such a great forum. Like you, I find it to be very relaxing. In fact, I find fly tying to be very relaxing as well. I have never taken valium, but I can't imagine it being better at stress relief than fly fishing and tying flies. :D

careyrn 02-23-2013 09:24 PM

My trip is planned for Pagosa Springs area. I have been researching and reading on what flies to use and near by rivers and creeks. I am so excited but very nervous!! I have been filling my fly box with new flies just waiting to use. LOL. But again, I am not very good! I have caught Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brown and Brook. Most of them small.....but I didn't care. My dream is Steelhead!

popperfly 02-23-2013 09:44 PM

Welcome to NAFFF careyrn, you couldn't asked for a better place for advice. Just ask and you will receive a wealth of information. :D

theboz 02-23-2013 10:15 PM

Great to see aoother lady that's interested in fly fishing ! I have three girls that grew up with a fanatic Dad and still love it! Welcome to the forum!
Ask questions you'll get answers here!

jpbfly 02-24-2013 03:57 AM

:welcome:careyrn...some great flygals here:)...some mustachios too:Dbut everyone is friendly and very helpful:)

lacanadio 02-24-2013 06:32 AM

Careyn - if you're going to Pagosa, you're going to be very near (hour at most) from the San Juan tailwater of Navajo Lake. There aren't steelhead there, but there are some very big rainbows and browns. Consider hiring a guide your first time there. I can almost guarantee an amazing day. A guided trip there last year set the fly fishing hook in me permanently.

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

jcw355 02-24-2013 06:59 AM

You are actually pretty close to me as I live in Sand Springs. Oklahomas trout fishing isn't as good as some other places, natives and wild trout, but we do have two year around trout rivers. The Lower Illinois is closest to both of us plus The Lower Mountain Fork below Broken Bow lake.Arkansas offers a lot of good fly fishing as well.You can PM me if you like if you have any questions.

JCW.