The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM

careyrn is on a distinguished road
Default Oklahoma-OntheFlyGal-New to Fly Fishing

I am only about 10 months into Fly Fishing.....and absolutely LOVE it!! But have so many things to learn. Sometimes I overwhelm myself! I have a trip planned to NorFork Spring Break and a trip to Pagosa Spring, Colorado end of May first of June. I have so many questions about what flies to use while in Colorado!!! I research and read, but still so confused. Anyone willing to give advice!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oklahoma-OntheFlyGal-New to Fly Fishing

Welcome to the forum. It's a wonderful source of information. We also have a few other gals that belong to the forum. Can't wait to see what you post.

Almost forgot to ask, where in Colorado (My home state) and what are you fishing for?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM

I am also very new to "forum".....I really have no idea what I am doing but hoping it will be a good way to meet other men and women who are willing to give me tips. I love fly fishing!!! This is the most relaxing and rewarding thing I have ever done. I have twin girls who will be graduating in May and I chose this hobby (something I have always wanted to do) to help me prepare for the "empty nest". LOL!!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people here are more than willing to share tips and information. That's what makes it such a great forum. Like you, I find it to be very relaxing. In fact, I find fly tying to be very relaxing as well. I have never taken valium, but I can't imagine it being better at stress relief than fly fishing and tying flies.
biged likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM

My trip is planned for Pagosa Springs area. I have been researching and reading on what flies to use and near by rivers and creeks. I am so excited but very nervous!! I have been filling my fly box with new flies just waiting to use. LOL. But again, I am not very good! I have caught Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brown and Brook. Most of them small.....but I didn't care. My dream is Steelhead!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Welcome to NAFFF careyrn, you couldn't asked for a better place for advice. Just ask and you will receive a wealth of information.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Great to see aoother lady that's interested in fly fishing ! I have three girls that grew up with a fanatic Dad and still love it! Welcome to the forum!
Ask questions you'll get answers here!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

careyrn...some great flygals here...some mustachios toobut everyone is friendly and very helpful
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 AM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

Careyn - if you're going to Pagosa, you're going to be very near (hour at most) from the San Juan tailwater of Navajo Lake. There aren't steelhead there, but there are some very big rainbows and browns. Consider hiring a guide your first time there. I can almost guarantee an amazing day. A guided trip there last year set the fly fishing hook in me permanently.

Welcome to the forum.

Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You are actually pretty close to me as I live in Sand Springs. Oklahomas trout fishing isn't as good as some other places, natives and wild trout, but we do have two year around trout rivers. The Lower Illinois is closest to both of us plus The Lower Mountain Fork below Broken Bow lake.Arkansas offers a lot of good fly fishing as well.You can PM me if you like if you have any questions.

JCW.